Removing Engine Front Cover

Jimmy 2Coupes

SCCoA Member
I seem to remember reading on these BBS's that it's not necessary to remove the oil pan to get the front cover off which my 94 service manual says is a must do. Does anybody remeber reading this before or has anybody removed there front cover without having to remove the oil pan?

According to my service manual to get the front cover off you must remove the oil pan, to get the oil pan off you must raise the engine with a hoist and lower the front sub frame. Sounds like a real P.I.T.A.

Should be doable. I know others on this site have done it without removing the oil pan. There is no lip on the front cover where it meets with the oil pan so it should be able to slide in and out. The tricky part is going to get sealant on that lip when reassembling it without oozing it into the oil pan (there is no gasket from the front cover to oil pan seal). I cannot remember if the front two oil pan bolts thread into the cover or not (it's been a while).

You don't need to remove the pan to take the timing cover off. We just swapped the cam in my SC a few months ago. The same is true for all SC engines 89-95.

David

Back