Can't check sc fluid

freeze408

Having problem removing screw to check supercharger fluid.
Recently bought car with 106,000 mi,and replaced all fluids ,changed all plugs and wires etc..would like to check supercharger for fluid and any metal shavings. what milage should i change supercharger fluid.I assume since i can't removed fluid screw easy,then the fluid has never been checked or changed.any tricks of the trade with out stripping torks screw head.

thanks

p.s If i do have to change sc fluid,what is the easiest way

from what i rember seeing on this board, you don't change the fluid you just may need to top it off once in a while. as far as getting the screw out, i'm unsure about that. good luck.

oh yeah, buy gm sc fluid, its the same stuff with lower cost.

If you're using a Torx bit to remove the plug, that's part of the problem. It should take a Hex bit (don't remember what size though. To change the fluid, use a turkey baster to suck it out (someone suggested using a sprayer from like a windex bottle so there are many options). GM does have a compatible fluid that is cheaper. You should need two bottles, fill it to the bottom of the plug.

Metric...

OK...

1. Since you just got the car you need to get that plug out and check the quality of the synthetic fluid in your Blower. It is prolly skunky smellin', and loaded with metalics...If so CHANGE IT...:)

2. You need a metric Allen style T-Handle, or basic allen wrench. Can't remember what size for sure...Easy enuf to find out...

3. If you use an allen wrench you may need to get on it with some channel locks or vice grips to get some leverage...I have had to do this in a pinch...

4. Go To a GM stealership and ask for the Superchager Fluid...They stock it for the Pontiacs, I have never had a problem getting it from them.

5. I have tried the turkey baster myself and had poor luck with it. I then just bought a syphon pump from Harbor Freight for 10bux and it worked great..."No Mess"

6. You need to go to the NEW OWNERS part of this BBS, as well as the FAQ to answer questions that you don't even have yet...It will bring you up to speed with your new car...

Cheers

Brad

Yes, use the 3/16" Allen and be careful. The Allen may break on you. Be sure you clean the screw head well to get a good seat for the wrench. Push down hard while trying to loosen to prevent Allen from jumping out and boogering your screw head.

When you get it out make sure your threads are clean on the screw and the SC body, THEN only replace the screw with very light torque - do NOT tighten hard. The dissimilar metals (steel screw into aluminum body) tend to tighten up over time. Just snug it back each time.

jon

sorry

was i incorrect? :eek: should you change the sc fluid? :confused: if so, how often?

guess i am still an "SC Newbie"

Last edited:
Seems to me if it's clear and doesn't smell bad, it's probably alright. It certainly wouldn't hurt to change it and it's easy to do with a siphon. It only takes about 7 oz of new fluid to do a change. Buy it at a GM dealer for less than half what it costs at Ford.

I've never changed mine but it's been leaking past the snout seal for a year or more now so I add enough during a year to nearly account for a change! I can't imagine you would need to change it more than every 50K or so if you want to.

Jon

freeze408 said:
Having problem removing screw to check supercharger fluid.
Recently bought car with 106,000 mi,and replaced all fluids ,changed all plugs and wires etc..would like to check supercharger for fluid and any metal shavings. what milage should i change supercharger fluid.I assume since i can't removed fluid screw easy,then the fluid has never been checked or changed.any tricks of the trade with out stripping torks screw head.

thanks

p.s If i do have to change sc fluid,what is the easiest way
I just left you a message on your cell.......awaiting your call. I can give you a hand if you like. Let me know!

Glad to see another SC in da BIG EASY!

Cheers,
Calvin

Smelly.. stinky.. That means it GOOD! If you're in doubt, take a bottle of the Ford stuff and snif.

If your SC is like most of ours, the problem isn't with age of the fluid, its with the loss of the fluid. There isn't a lot of it to begin with and the snout seal tends to drip fluid out.

riddle me this...

I just changed the SC fluid and it only took 4 onces to fill back up. Am I supposed o let the car run and add more?
I figured this might be the solution but my car won't start...eveything worked fine before. Why won't my car start?

Recommended Change Interval

I believe the recommended change interval is 100,000 miles. That's when I did mine. I used a doctor's surringe (sp?) and some small, clear hose attached to it...worked great.

Do BE CAREFUL with that bolt. And don't over torque it when you re-install (one grunt should be sufficient).

Good luck.

Freeze that plug!

Getting the plug out…

I don’t know where to get this product in the civilian world, but the military had cans of this stuff that would freeze the metal. Looked like a short green can of WD40. You simply heat up the area around the plug, and then freeze the plug. Comes out like a baby put it in. Worked great for removing tail rotor gearboxes on helicopters.

I check my oil every 6,000 miles… just to be safe and… the plug always comes out easy!

Re: riddle me this...

Thunder8289 said:
I just changed the SC fluid and it only took 4 onces to fill back up. Am I supposed o let the car run and add more?
I figured this might be the solution but my car won't start...eveything worked fine before. Why won't my car start?

This problem is definatley unrelated to the Supercharger. Further details as to your symptoms are necessary for diagnosis.

yeah..it did come burping out. What a friggin mess. I think it made the wires wet because once I dried them of it now starts again.

Back