Cooling fan won't come on?

90xr7reborn

I pulled the fan out and hardwired it to make sure it works and it does. The fan won't come on with the a/c on, or when the motor is running at temp. I was reading about a relay, where is it? If one of you has another idea I would be glad to here it. I went into old posts but only found info on cutting the 14 wire. I would just assume exhaust all other possibilitys before I start cutting wires. Thanks...Bill

the relay is in ircm

you cant get to it, does your air cond work? if its low the fan wont come on if so put a jumper in ac pressure switch and unplug ac pump it should come on with ac turned on in car, if not cut 14 wire or buy a crimp on wire splice and pin to wire 17 it will give you high speed when grounded, my car has 14 wire unning to a toggle under dash when switched on it disconnects the 14 wire and slow comes on and a toggle to wire 17 when grounded it turns on high speed, if fan does not come on with these two tricks your ircm is bad, so you can wire it with a after market thermal switch or just get a new or used ircm, sorry thats all I know about this subject les borda knows more than me try contacting him .

thanks Manny. so thats it? If it doesn't work cut the wire? That kinda sucks!!! I don't like to rig my car. theres nothing worse than letting someone drive your car and have to spend a half hour explaining "what to do if this happens". where can i check with a voltmeter to see where my problem is? Is the IRCM the black box in front of the airbox? Do I just unplug the main wiring harness that goes into the front of it to find 14 or is it somewhere else?...Bill

Check out your fusible link at the POS+ side of the starter relay and make sure your connection there isn't corroded so at least you know the ICRM is getting juice. Might be yellow i think.

i might know!

you might be better off hard wiring an adjustable thermastat controll on your car, the SC are bad for having the relay for the electric fans, check your power to the fan withan mullti metter. It may be the relay and they're not cheap, your better off bueying the 20.00 adjustable one and never worrie about it again...

Back