need new tranny mount?

nervekiler

ok i noticed the other day when trying to practice my shifting the 2-3 shift feels weird. its not hard to go in, but i floor it all the way through 2nd and then push the clutch in while simultaniously dropping the gas about 3/4 from floored. now while the engine is winding down i am throwing the shifter up into 3rd. but as it is coming out of 2nd it feels like the shifter is being thrown to the left a bit. like the engine de-torqueing or something.

now is this normal? will it damage my shifter/tranny if i proceed to shift like this and allow this to happen? or should i just replace some bushing up in the tranny?
the car has 77k miles on it, very dry and hot climate here in yakima in the summer. i just got this car and i dont think previous owner ever cared about racing the car or goin super fast like i do, so i dont think he did allot of shifting like i am. but could it bea possibility i need to look into a new tranny mount or motormounts or something?

the shifter is still shiftable. it doesnt feel broken at all. its just during the 2-3 shift it feels like the shifter wants to get ripped to the left an inch as the engine is winding down as i shift.

thanks and sorry for the long read, but i tried to cover everything that needed to be said.

The tranny is attached to the bell housing at the front, and a single mount at the rear center. Thus the movement you see is more likely due to failed motor mounts rather than a transmission mount.

Check your motor mounts by having a friend pop the throttle while you watch under the hood. If the engine moves more than an inch you likely have a torn motor mount on the driver's side. Possibly the passenger side as well.

Search the forum for "motor mounts" and you'll find lots of discussions.

Back