Window Fix??

89SCK@t

Sorry guys, Im at work right now, but i was wondering if there ever was a window fix our cars? I went to the junkyard this past weekend and was looking at a cougar, i believe it was a 90 or 91, but thats not the point. Anyway, I was looking at the window motor and mounting stuff for the window, i noticed that the car had this, aluminum thing to hold onto the window, instead of the plastic one that i have seen in a lot our cars, and it has a plastic plug looking thing that you screw in to tighten the hold on the window...could this be a fix for the window? i know mine keeps coming off the plastic bracket thingy, and i was wondering if this would help that out. any input is welcome. thanks

PS ill post pics when i get home.

I'm not positive i'm following you exactly, but...if you're referring to the small plastic U channels that the bottom of the glass sits in, then you can simply use silicone adhesive to fasten the glass into that channel if it's loose. The factory uses some kind of adhesive and over time it can loosen up. That alone would solve it. You can remove and replace the door glass in 10 minutes.

If you think that part would solve your problem (I wasn't aware there was a problem with this really) why not just grab it?

i have been grabbing it....but its not cool when your trying to talk to the ladies and have to roll down the window while pushing on in at the same time....but ill have pictures of the things im talking about in about 3 hours....thanks for the input

The fix I used......

was the Ford TSB solution....3M Structural Adhesive to glue the window back into the plastic clips. Did 2 MN 12's over 2 years ago and going strong (knock on wood) The 3M product is a two part epoxy and you DO have to work fast. Requires removal of the window and clips from the door. Glue the clipos back on...reinstall the window and roll it up and leave it for 24 hours.

I think Dan meant grab the part from the junk yard if you think it would fix the problem. Not grab your window. :p

OOOOOOOHHHHH.....I did grab the parts, it was only on one side, of course....they are just like the plastic u shaped ones, just aluminum vs. plastic...as for the epoxy stuff, i was thinkin i could ask one of the females if they have a diamond ring i could borrow...you know, to see if it really is a diamond, i could scratch the glass and the epoxy would hold a little better/longer....

Here we go....here is what i am talking about. Hopefully you guys know what I mean now....maybe you guys already have this on you windows...i dont know...input?

Attachments

• window brackets.jpg
    window brackets.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 640
I had the same problem with my drivers side window,had plastic clip reglued with epoxy. Held together for about two months.Bam broke again.Got used window with aluminum clips on it from salvage yard, "happy every since".Btw the aluminum clips used a black epoxy resin to hold them in place.I cleaned the old plastic clips and window, then reattached them using JB weld steel,
this is now my spare should my salvage yard replacement fail.
Hope this helps.:D

Last edited:
JB Weld is king.

Another satisfied customer. Use it all the time, don't know why I didn't think of it earlier. :)

windows

They make a after market window for the tbird and cougar that has metal clips with teeth.My car had the same problem and a friend of mine owns a glass company and got both windows for $225.And they work great.

The clip popped off my window with several glues. The key was finding something that dried yet stayed rubbery to allow for the initial shock of the window motor pushing/pulling. I found my solution in "Automotive Goop". I just squeezed a thick beed into the clip, managed the window back into the clip, gooped all around the clip, then rolled up. Been several years now and all is well.

Micah

I got some of those clips from a friend of mine that works at a glass place. Those along with the 3M adhesive are extremely strong. Also, a trick to get the plastic clips to hold better with 3M (or any adhesive for that matter) is to drill a hole in the clip such as seen on the metal clip in the picture. It allows some of the epoxy to ooze (technical term) out and will make a stronger bond to the glass.

unrelated, but about the diamond

i know this post is old, and this is kind of unrelated, but 89sck@t, glass will cut glass. i think this was on a movie........the grifters or something........

I thought things that were in the same hardness were unable to scratch each other...its been a few years since I took science...and failed it...thats why I was going to use a diamond...lol

Stephen

Back