Need to get 1990 SC repair manual?

David J

Where can I get a repair manual for my 1990 SC, specifically for ABS pump motor or whole master cylinder/ABS assembly?
Haynes' doesn't include that.

I ordered the complete '92 Ford service manual set on CDRom off EBay for about $15.00 (US). It won't do you any good for working on the Teves Mark II ABS, though. There isn't much you can do to the Hydraulic Pump as far as rebuilding, but you can get a (like new) rebuilt system from Prior Remanufacturing in Texas. www.priorreman.com

First, what seems to be the trouble? You may not need to get a rebuilt, maybe just a relay, accumulator, or something like that.

remanufactured brake PARTS

IF SOMEONE COMES WITH A NAME OF A REMANUCATURER
I HAVE A 90SC BOTH ABS LIGHT AND BRAKE COMES
ABS CONSTANCE BRAKE LIGHT INTERMITTEN POWER BOOST
SOMES MOST TIMES NOT JUST HAD LOOKED AT FOOD DEALER
THEY SAY IT NEEDS A DEFECTIVE BRAKE MODUL AND A NEW
ACTUATOR THAT THEY SAY FORD NO LONGER HAS ANYONE
FIND A WAY AROUND THIS I CAN'T BE THEY ONLT ONE WHO HAS
HAD THIS PROBLEM NEW ACCUMULATOR LAST YEAR FROM FORD
NET

ALL HELP APPRECIATED NOT READY TO SCRAPE HER YET

STEVE W

MORRISTOWN NJ 07960

Thanks for the reply and info...

The brake pedal is stiff and I have no power in the brake system. I have to press really hard to get it to stop. I really can't drive it very safely. I was told by a mechanic that it was the pump motor. He said it wasn't the relay.

OK, if you have a hard pedal, that indicates that you pump is not providing any assist. That could be caused by several things... First, check the fuse (30amp I think) for the ABS on the main power buss under the hood. Then replace the ABS Pump Relay (Brown Pump Relay) GP Sorensen #MR120 located on the passenger side up by the firewall, under the cowling. These things tend to fail eventually and it only costs around $15.00(US). Finally, it could be the pressure switch/sensor or the pump itself.
Are both the ABS and Brake warning lights on solid? probably....
Were the ABS and Brake warning lights flashing on and off in sequence whenever the brake was applied before the system failed? That indicates a failed accumulator which if not replaced will cause the pump to fail.

If the pressure switch or pump is shot, either send the whole unit to Prior for a rebuild or order a rebuilt unit from them and send your bad one back for the core-charge refund. (Should cost somewhere around $400 to $500 for the whole setup with a new accumulator and a 36mo warranty. This beats the Ford price of $1250.00 and 90 day warranty. It is easy to remove and replace in your driveway with basic tools.

Let me know if you need any step-by-step info.....

Thanks again and yes ...

you pretty much described the way the ABS and brake warning lights were working, but I thought it was because I was experiencing a brake fluid leak. I was having to add brake fluid routinely and thought that was the reason for the lights. I am not much of a mechanic and a buddy of mine who is pretty good with cars said if I would get the a manual he would help me with it. He wanted the manual because he said it could be tricky to bleed them properly. Is that true? What are the tricky point to replacing the whole unit if there are any?

Thanks again.

master cylinder how to

i would much appricate your step by step installation help
my ford dealer who normally works on my sc will not install
remfr parts so i'm on my own.
i plan to order complet master minus accumaltor i stalled new
last year corrected part of the problem for a year but now its
to make this all go away i will replace the whole unit maybe
this will be good for a long time
my anti lock stays on always the brake lights off in the am
when you first starts stay off for a while then comes on
power assit no longer i have been driving this way for a long time
the dealer did test and said its was a defective brake modul
& actuator that they say ford no longer can provide as a new part

thanks for your continued help

90sc 180.000 perfect miles i had this baby since new normaly
store in the winter that created some problems with sitting idel

thanks smw07960@optoline.net

I read that say if the brakes are hard....it could be no power assist.

What if they are soft??? Possibly "fading"
I'm not positive what fading means, but it seems like I have to press harder and harder to get the car to stop. But it does seem soft most of the time.

my post from from another thread
Mine seem to be intermitently poorer stoping power, and it feels like only the front is stopping the car sometimes. But like I say, I never get brake lights, cept of course when I crank the car, and not for more than a few seconds(5-6 give or take.....)

By accident, the other day I kinda lifted up on the brake pedal, and it seems like the pedal "raised up" and became firm again for the next couple of presses... then the pedal kinda got lighter and lower to the floor again...
It seems to happed like this every time Ilift up on the pedal....not that it has more than a hair of movement..more like I take the weight of the pedal off itself...

Does this sound like accumulator.

Brake Fade

This is generally caused by air in the system or contaminated hydraulic fluid. It can also be the result of worn out pads, faulty calipers, or system leaks. With the key on and the car parked, pump the brake pedal to see if you "get more pedal". Listen for the pump cycling on and off. Move the car and check for brake fluid on the ground. The system operating pressure is around 2300psi, so if there is a leak somewhere it shouldn't be hard to find.

You might want to run the car over to a reputable brake shop and have them do an inspection. If they say you need anything more than pads or a system bleed, check back here for possible solutions before you spend the big bucks.

Well the car pretty much sat for a couple of years, with a breif month or two of driving it about a year and a half ago..

Its been a daily driver since this past november now....

I had a problem with the ignition switch before that...causing all kinds of stuff, including brake lights....bu thats been replaced, and no more problems from it

I had the brake guy bleed them at a very reputable local tire/brake shop a week or so ago...

When I got the car the brakes...front and back, and rotors too had been done....SO less than 4K miles on the pads and rotors....

At first I thoguht it was cheap pads or something, and I've even toyed with the notion of upgrading to MARK VIII brakes...Got a $200 for complete brake setup on a 93 M VIII including rotors (woudl in all likely hood replace rotors and pads), calipers, spindles, hubs, SB end links, and braketry....still thinking about this....

I think there is another problem though....

This is my second SC of the same year model, and I'm pretty sure my brakes were ALOT better in my first one...

another thing to add is that my cruise control doesn't engage right away, it lags and coast down a few MPH before it engages, but then it does cruise properly....

The other day when my brakes seemed particulary sorry, my ARC control light flashed for awhile when I'd hit the brakes, (done it 3 times that day) but this didn't happen agian since.

I appreciate the help guys!

Last edited:
Back