Lightning TB & mod ?...

ChaseTruck754

Hey guys I have been looking into the Lightning mod and below are some ?'s I have that didn't get answered when I searched the topic.
1st off let me state that the TB will be going on my 90 SC motor that is in an 89 ranger (not really a ranger anymore - 99% custom).
Here is a list of what will be done/has been to the motor - P&P heads, o-ringed block deck, stock mustang headers, 5 or 10% pulley, raised SC top, front mount IC, cam grind and 3" exhaust w/ H pipe.

Now on to my ?'s.
1st ? is - what size TB are most guys using? I believe the older lightnings are 80mm and the new ones are 90mm? Where do you find these (ebay, junkyard, ford), and how much should I expect to pay?
What plenum are you using along w/ the TB (my stock 90 plenum doesn't look like I could port it enough to work)? Also, what size MAf & injectors are you using for this combo?
Next - is there anything else I should expect to modify/need besides the lightning pigtail/wiring and the eec tuner/chip? Keep in mind i have to do a custom throttle cabel for the truck so throttla cable location is no big deal.

Ok that was a long one. Any and all help is appreciated. Steve

Never heard of anyone using a lightning TB just the MAF.

80mm older and 90mm newer MAF. You have to have a custom chip burned or an EEC tuner.

Jeff

I understand about the EEC tuner.
As far as the TB goes - I could have sworn I saw somebody here w/ a Lightning TB. If not is the SC TB something special or would one of the dime a dozen (relatively speaking) mustang one work? Steve

94-95 mustang fits with a linkage swap and a stop.

Jeff

Come to think of it, I’m pretty sure you are thinking of the MAF swap. The lightning has a twin bore throttle body like a GM TPI system.

Last edited:
Maybe I did get it wrong. Like I said I could have sworn it was TB, but I have been know to forget stuff rather quickly.

Now on to the mustang TB. What size (mm) are the 94/95's, and are they cheaper then just buying one of the aftermarket SC ones? Steve

Are the SC and mustang ones the same? I have been seeing ads on ebay for 73 and 76 mm MAFs that say they are for SC's and 5.0 mustangs. If they are not the same does anybody know the difference? I do not have the heater line (or whatever that water line on the bottom of the TB is) hooked up, and do not need it. Sorry for all the ?'s but thanks for the help. Steve

Like I said b4 94-95 only are a close fit you still have to swap the linkage and add a stop.

Jeff

Steve,

A BBK 75mm TB (Mustang or SC) will work and provide all the air you need. However, it won't be very effective unless used with a Magnum Powers inlet plenum. The plenum will only bolt up to the late style (94-95) blowers or an early style that MP has ported and reworked (see Magnaport II) Here is a link to the website.

http://www.magnumpowers.com/

The same C&L 76mm MAF used on Mustangs will also work on an SC, however the injector calibration tube will not be the same for a given size of injector. You should consult C&L for information on what sample tube to use. If your going with a Pro-M unit it will also need to be calibrated to match your injectors.

David

Thank you David. That is exaclty the type info I was looking for. I was wondering if everyone was using the MP plenums with their larger TBs. Steve

Steve,

The stock plenum opening is about 65mm at it's smallest point and can only be opened to about 70mm without breaking thru the wall. The mounting flange can be ported to accept the 75mm and possibly the 85mm TB, but I don't see how they can flow any more air if the plenum is smaller.

David

I just picked up a ESM plenum out of the classifieds (paying today) so that is the reason I was looking into it.
Oh, and I was thinking last night and I thought I remebered seeing someone using the lighning MAF and TB. Don't know why I posted just the TB but5 oh well. Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

ESM is a modded stock plenum like I described in my last post (I had one) and it won't flow nearly as well as the MP plenum.

David

Thanks for all the info David - I have been trying to find pics & info on the ESM setup w/ no luck. Both their site and Pauls site are down and Paul hasn't returned my email yet. I have an extra set of Plenums here that I was gonna port but after looking at it I didn't think I'd get much out of it. Do you know how much the ESM one goes for new? Now that I found this out I might have to pass on that plenum in the classifieds. I guess I can do it myself and save some $$. I had looked at making a custom tubular style plenum but it looked to be more work then it was worth. I guess I'll just port the one I've got for now and live w/ it. Steve

Steve,

If your talking about the ESM plenum Supercatxr7 is selling, it won't fit your supercharger. It is a late model plenum that fits the rectangular opening on the 94-95 style superchargers or a MP II early style conversion.

I have an MP II early style conversion (Magnaport II) because late style blowers are too pricey and hard to find. To get your early style blower ported/modded cost about $450. You can then use the stock late style plenum, the ESM ported and diffused plenum or the Magnum Powers plenum.

If on a budget, I would suggest you do the supercharger porting first and get a stock late model plenum (dirt cheap) w/75mm TB and then buy/install the MP plenum when the money is avalible.

David

Thanks again David. I was trying to figure out the cost of the ESM plenum to figure out if the one in the classifieds was worth it. I know I have the older SC but I am planning on porting the SC on th inside (like MP does) and then also matching the hole where the plenum attaches to the SC. I have been wanting to buy an 94/95 plenum but haven't seen any for sale and was thinking the ESM one might be a good deal. I have emailed Paul to find the cost of the plenum (as I said before both blue tongue and ESMs sites are down) but he hasn't given me a price yet. BUT, if you think i can find a 94/95 plenum for cheap then I think I will pass on the ESM one and port my own. Steve

PS - if you know somebody that has the late plenum for sale please let me know.

I know I have the older SC but I am planning on porting the SC on th inside (like MP does) and then also matching the hole where the plenum attaches to the SC.

Steve,

It's not just a matter of changing the oval to a rectangle, there are several things that are different, and I'm not doubting your mechanical abilities when I say this, but You Can't Do It Yourself. MP cuts the back end off the supercharger and bolts/epoxy bonds a new casting and bearings to the housing.

Here is a link to a recent thread that shows the MP II rework vs. Stock early style.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16110&highlight=Magnum+powers

Nearly everyone who has installed an MP plenum on their car has a stock late model plenum lying around collecting dust. Here is a guy getting ready to remove one now.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17848

David

Last edited:
Thanks David. That top thread is the one that gave me the idea of porting the blower. I just hadn't paid enough attention to realize that that was a new casting on the back. I guess I would have found out the hard way when I tried huh? Oh well, I guess my quest for a larger plenum is over. I'm not gonna go larger TB w/o a larger plenum and I'm not gonna go larger plenum w/o the blower - so I guess I'm not gonna do it at all. The engine is on a tight budget since most of the $ is going into suspension, etc. (I'm running 2 shocks each corner and the shocks are $450+ EACH). Because of the cost of building this truck, I'm only gonna do minor stuff to the engine. Stuff that is cheap like mustang headers, pulley, cam grind, exhaust, and then other stuff I can do by my self (front mount IC, P&P heads). I'd love to go bigger MAF and/or TB too, but it won't do a dang thing w/ a chip orr EEC tuner plus a TB and plenum (plus maybe injectors). Ok I'm rambling now, so I'll stop. Thanks for the help on this. Steve

Back