Smoked fan motor after Adj. T-stat install

factoryblue

Cutting wire 14 was bogging the car down. I bought a Flex-a-lite adjustment switch (31147) and a fan relay for a Lincoln Mark VIII. I ran power from the battery, bi-passing all OEM wiring. After about 5 minutes of sucessfull fan cycling the fan motor blew smoke. I bought a new Seimans # 254. It's wired with the OE harness for now, but I want to switch over without smoking the new motor. I'm running a 60 amp automotive fuse right after the battery. The power output from the new setup matches the OE setup(12.5V). Is there an alternative to soldering in a 60 amp fuse? I'm assuming the motor might have been bad because it would bog the engine when the fan turned on. I just don't want to blow the new moter.:eek:

You gotta make sure that by wiring the motor the way you did, you didnt accidentally get the high speed and low speed on at the same time. I cut the 14 pin on mine and after 2-3 days it smoked the radiator big time. Got the Siemans and its been running ever since.

Al

YES

The wires that go 2-into-1 were determined to be ground. The low speed wire (Brown w/orange stripe) was used in this application. I also want to mention the moter was 100K miles old. Why is it, these cars ran fine for years then everybody started overheating?:confused:

My car ran fine well over 100K but I had a cracked overflow, lost coolant and ended up overheating one too many times because I thought it was full but wasn't.

If 14 is the high speed wire you don't want to run the high speed windings of the fan for any length of time, it's an emergency use only tpye of thing. The windings can't handle all that current they will burn up. Run the low speed wire. You can keep it the stock way by cutting the low speed wire. With the 2 ends you have the "fan side" goes to 30 off of the relay, 87 to B+, 87a to the "car side" of the wire going to the fan.

Jeff

Back