clunking rear end - other

kelinbrown

Does anyone know what is involved and what it might be reasonable to expect to pay to have the rear differential bushings replaced? My rear end clunks and I found a suggestion on supercoupe performance web site that the bushings are probably through after 80k. My rear has been inspected and everythings appears to be normal otherwise.

The parts are fairly cheap (just under 50.00), but that may only be the beginning.

I'm also considering 3.73's for my 94 auto aod, new springs and shocks. I was thinking that if I was going to get the bushings done and the rear end had to be taken apart to get to the bushings, I might as well get all the other stuff done at the same time.

If anyone has suggestions, please respond.

brownk63@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Ok first off, the 94's have 4r70w's which are electronically controlled transmissions.

2nd. The rear bushings that Bill E. sells can be changed by removing the bolts from the rear yoke (disconnecting the drive shaft) lowering down the pumpkin a bit and replace the bushings. If you are going to do gears you can have the bushings done at the same time might help out. If you have a 94 you might want to buy a Ford 8.8 Trac-lok locker for the rear end this will give you power to both tires like the 89-93 cars had and the 94/95 5-speeds. The 3.73's w/ one wheel power will spin like no other. You will need to get a locker.

Are you talking about this???

www.mn12performance.com/

They sell this bushing too, but I'm not sure if you can just get em at autozone or not, or perhaps what they want for em at the ford stealership......

Last edited:
Some one before me might have changed my rear end but i dont think so. I spin both tires even in a turn. I heard the lx was one wheel drive but not the SC. The clunk you are hearing is most likely caused by U joints unless you rear is going south or those bushings are completly gone.

Back