Gas!

extremely, if you cant afford to run it in your SC then sell it, because you will end up spending more on motor rebuild after you start pinging it.

i know gas here in ontario has gone up to pretty much a dollar a liter, it only works out to be about 4 dollars more per tank then using 89 octane fuel.. so is saving that 4 dollars or so, really worth ruining your engine?

Increases an engines resistance to detonation. Pinging, spark knock, basically is sounds like a coffee can with pennys in it, and breaks pistons avoid it.

Jeff

Down and out.

The higher the octane rating of a fuel, the greater it's resistance to detonation. As per stated earlier. The myth is that Higher octane fuel has more potential energy. That is false.

Engines like the supercoupe are tuned with boost and spark advance that would cause 87 octane fuel to pre-ignite. Sometimes on cars that can run both kinds of fuels, the owner will notice more power with the 93 octane stuff and therefore conclude that the 93 octane is more powerful. Wrong, his engine identified the higher octane fuel and tuned the engine to follow suit, thus the feeling of increased power.

I've run regular in my super coupe a couple of times. However for 99% of the daily driving I do, I don't even go past the "0" on the boost guage. So I'm pretty safe. It's when you swing the guage over the 5-10-15 psi boost side of the gauge that you are going to run into problems. If you don't feel comfortable with that, you can always remove the supercharger belt and just run "all-motor". But you will be driving around an underpowered stone of an engine.

I used to get a terrible ping with 91 octane.. I tried it a couple of times when the car was new and it never liked it. I've stuck with 93 ever since and no ping.

In silicon valley premium gas is only 91 octane. Does only few special gas station carry 93 octane.
thanks

You can pull the octane plug. This lowers your timing by 4 deg to allow you to run lower octane fuel.

Jeff

Back