Black hard plastic piece under front bumper

rookie94sc

Ok that black hard plastic piece that goes across the bottom of the front bumper came off my car a week ago I think I hit a dip just right on the freeway cuz it was dragging when I got to work... so I took it completely off and now my car is getting really hot... Is that a necessary piece or could something else be wrong?

I think what you are talking about is a wind deflector that pushes air into your condensor and rad.

It's not a critical piece but since our rads are not very efficient, every bit helps. Try running without it and if you notice that your temperature starts to rise, consider getting a replacement. A stock replacement is difficult to get. I used a Grand Am part and it worked fine. There was a post 5 months ago with pics on how to do the installation.

That is definitely needed. As Steve said, it directs air up at the condensor and radiator. Without it, your radiator isn't getting near enough air to cool you properly.

Do you still have the old piece that you took off?

Dale

Needed, but not necessary.

How's that for an answer? Many cars are missing it. I know I am. But there is a way to replace it. And if you don't, you will amost certainly have higher engine temperatures.

I can't find it here, but maybe on a different computer I have a note from a guy that took the pictures below on a replacement part. I think it's from a Pontiac GTP and it was only like $12.50 in parts or something.

Here are some pictures from someone that did it:
airdam1.jpg

airdam2.jpg

Just get some plastic pins from any auto parts store and put it back on. That's one of the reasons I haven't lowered my car, even at stock height, I find myself bottoming out both front and back. Good luck

GM parts list it as a "wind delector", I think, for the GTP,not very expensive,around $15 if I remember correctly.......
z

p/n wind deflector

There are actually two parts to the wind deflector.
But like you said its only the outside one that you need.

Look in Part # Listing page in the FAQ (near the bottom)
I listed a part number that i was given a while back. Not sure how accurate it is but its listed, so maybe if you go to get one you can check on it and let "fast ed" know if its correct and also what car it is from and he can adjust the listing. Also if you go, try to get the part number for the other piece. Which is supposed to replace that plyable piece that hangs from the front bumper to over the support bar just infront of the sway bar (good explanation??)

jim

Guys, he has a '94 SC. The '94 SC's have a different front bumper with a significantly different design underneath. So everything you are saying may not apply to him.

He's talking about the piece that the red arrow is pointing to in my bottom picture. Either that or there's another piece attached to the bottom of that, which extends down a little further (notice I don't even have that piece on mine).

If he's talking about the little extension piece, it's not as crucial. If it's the piece that the red arrow is pointing to (which is removable, BTW), then it's VERY necessary. Without that, there's almost no air hitting the radiator.

Dale

airscoop.jpg

That's the piece dale... I'll see if they haven't thrown it away yet (I took it off in the back lot of the dealership I work at...) I tried zip tying it but the zip ties would slide right through a cut in the hole where it initially broke... maybe I need heavier duty ones...

Let me know if you still need that piece. I hit a deer a couple weeks ago so that exact bumper you are looking for is all cracked up on the corner, but that underneath piece is still good. I have it painted teal, but that is no big deal.

I'm going to check to see if a "rebuild" place wants to buy my bumper to fix the cracks and resell it, but if they don't, I don't have a use for it.

I'm sure I could get it off without destroying it.

Dale

Well I've got part of it but I never had the painted piece that went over the deflector... I always thought it looked odd and felt something was missing... But I'm gonna be doing a 96/97 front end conversion with the xenon front air dam so I'm not gonna worry about it just as long as that main deflector part is there...

Hey Dale,

I just bought a 95 SC in October and it is missing the front bottom piece that you are referring to. I didn't realize that it was gone until I crawled under the car to change the plugs and fog light bulbs.

I haven't looked for a replacement yet as the car is wating for the summer. Are you interested in parting with the bottom piece? My car is black but I'm sure that it would be easy to paint.

Shoot me an e-mail if you are interested.

Thanks,

Bob, Bogies4@msn.com

No wonder my car runs warm!!!

I need the Pontiac GTP air deflector to replace the one I never had!!!!
(mines a 90)

What year and what do I ask them GM boys for????
And what is a GTP???

Last edited:
Back