cleaning TB w/ carb cleaner?

carb cleaner

I did that one time & 2 days later the
IAC idle air circuit stuck open that gave me 60mph auto accelerate (like the old
Audi 5000) $47 to replace it.

not recomended.

TB cleaner

You can buy TB safe spray cleaner made by Gummout, etc. The main concern is for stock throttle bodies because they have a surface coating. Best to get the motor running first, then remove the air intake hose at the TB; don't put any plastic tube on the spray can as you may loose it down the intake !!!!!! Spray the butterfly & intake pipe as you work the throttle and make sure you don't spray anything down the idle passage in the TB, as you can damage the IAC valve plastic bellows & end up with idle problems. Done it several times - works great. Also don't be surprised by the amount of oil laying in the intake behind the TB, because that's where the PCV valve pipe dumps (right on that bend).
Jim.

Never use carb cleaner because of what everybody else just said. If you have a '94-'95 make damn sure you use only CNC ****Teflon Safe**** throttle body cleaner. To add another to the list of screw ups, I delaminated the rotors on a '95 blower with heavy throttle body cleaner cleaning.

Vernon

I have never had the car running when cleaning the TB. I have always just sprayed it down really well and wiped it down. Why run the car and suck all of the dirt and grease right into the engine.

Likewise. I just pulled the intake tube off, and sprayed some brake parts cleaner on a toothbrush.. cleaned it up where it needed it and wiped it off with a paper towel. No problems.

Yes, you always need the TB safe spray cleaner (not regular carb.cleaner) but I never thought about the coated blower rotors on the 94+ model. If you work the throttle while spraying you avoid any large pools of fluid being sucked into the intake and, it'll clean right thru the blower & I/C, helping to disolve some of that oil residue that also lingers in the downstream system.

1BADSC said:
I have never had the car running when cleaning the TB. I have always just sprayed it down really well and wiped it down. Why run the car and suck all of the dirt and grease right into the engine.

Because the IAC shuts when the engine is not running and you won't be able to clean behind it. If your throttle body has enough dirt on it to worry about then you should use a air filter. What I said isn't going to hurt anything, only help. Just think about it, what about all the dirt and grease that doesn't stick to the throttle body, where does it go? Most of everything you see built up on the throttle came from the crankcase vent tube that is vented right into the intake tube so it will be burned in normal combustion. If it makes you feel any better spray it, wipe it clean, then do what I said anyways. If you every get around to pulling off your intercooler look at all the dirty grease pooling in the bottom tank, then think about this conversation.

The way I screwed up that blower was by spraying the rotors while it was off the car. Some of the fluid got trapped inbetween the case and rotors. I threw it into the trunk and it didn't dry for a while. Like Jim said, with the engine running it wouldn't have time to do any harm but none the less their is now a safe product availiable so why take the chance.

Vernon

I always use Valvoline's Syn Power TB cleaner. Never use just Carb cleaner as it will take the tefflon coating off. This is not a Carburator and you cant spray it while the engine runs. The MAF wont read correctly and the motor will stall. Just spray the throttle plate especially the sides and back. spray out the IAC as it wont F it up but you might notice a smoother idle. Spray out behind the throttle plate on the intake track to clean that oil deposit off. Put it all back to gether andd start her up. she will be really ruff so give it some gas to clear it out. Probably will smoke like a diesel.lol.
This will not hurt anything as it is the same as taking your vehicle to the shop and having a three step done. When we do this it uses a vacum port to suck the fluid (like tb cleaner but more concentrated) thru the whole intake track and eventually makes it into the combustion chamber and burns off.

chris

pearlwhite94sc said:
This is not a Carburator and you cant spray it while the engine runs. The MAF wont read correctly and the motor will stall.

chris

Chris, nobody suggested it's a carbur(e)tor. You can actualy drive the car with the MAF in the trunk if need be. It will run like kaka, but Ford doesn't build fuel injection that is totally dependant on any one sensor, in fact you can loose more than one and still drive it. It just takes a little help for the EEC to reconize the loss and compensate. Normally this would mean 3-4 crank and die sequinces for Joe commuter but you can just give it some air (gas) for a short bit until it maintains it's own idle. Then you can get out and do what I said. I am also a professional, and I have done this on all makes I can't even guess how many times over the years. In all those times driveability and idle improved. Never had any problems arise out of it. Usually someone reads the sticker on newer TB's that says special coating, do not clean and comes back scared. If it's dirty the coatings not working anyway now is it? Even if you damage some top secret coating so what? You should clean the TB at every oil change anyways on your own performance auto in my opinion.

Here's another run down from a simiar post last night that I saved just because it comes up so much and I use things over a lot.

Most likely your IAC Valve (Idle Air Control) is getting clogged with buildup gunk. Obtain a can of CNC brand ****Teflon Safe**** "throttle body and air intake cleaner" only. Then remove the air intake hose from the throttle body and spray the throttle body insides real well, open and shut by hand while doing. Now with the intake hose still off start the car. Disregard the check engine light, now it wants to bitch, and when you need to know something it disregards you! Get the car to idle on it's own, it takes it a moment to figure out the mass air meter isn't connected and compensate. Now get out and with remaining spray, hose the throttle body in the area of the little hole going off to the side in front of the throttle plate, this is the idle air valve's intake port. You will have to work the throttle with your other hand to keep the engine from stalling when you're doing this. Don't be afraid to use too much. When you almost out shut if off and reconnect the intake tube. Reach in the back of that valve cover and pull up the PCV valve stuck into it. Twist it around so it's facing up and spray the rest into the PCV valve. Stick it back and start it up. The light should be out again and it should idle right. If it doesn't your IAC Valve is toast and needs the boot.

I never said anyone did suggest it was a carburetor (thanks for the typo). I was merely incinuating that when you clean a Carb you generaly do it with it running. I do understand the principles of Fords FI system and i do realize that you can run without the sensor. ALTHOUGH i have not been able to make it run with the intake unhooked and the MAF still hooked up! if you unplug the MAF i have gotten it to work but otherwise i cant get my baby to run. Also the problem i see with it running and the reason i prefer to have it off is that you can open the TB completely and reach back into the throat of the intake. And as you said bout that coating, i wouldnt worry bout it either as it is designed to make the dirt and particles not stick but if it is dirty it obviously isnt doing its job. As far as the "use only spray desined for TB" i say that becuse the carb cleaner can and will damage the sensors ,ie. IAC. the TB cleaner seems to not be as harsh on electronics as just straight old fasioned carb cleaner.

feel free to correct me if im wrong
Chris

Sorry Chris, I tend to be a little touchy when I think an 18 year old is trying to correct me, bad experiences on this board. Nothing personal about the spelling, I'm one of the worst, I did it because I have a hard time with carburetor also and it helps if I don't read it wrong. I agree with what you're saying, I clean the insides up first then start it and work on the IAC valve. The SC should start eventually with the MAF plugged in but tube off, mine always do. It just takes some persuasion.

Vernon

No problem, i struggle with that damn CARB. word. lol ill just abreviate it from now on. I get what your saying and next time i clean her ill try that for the IAC. makes sense and i just never really Fed with it to try and really start her with it off. (gave up too quick)

yes i am 18 but i have been bread with cars since before i was born. lol my mom dragraced when she was pregnant with me and all my baby pics i was in a car or had a car toy so i guess you can say its in my blood. I do know quite a bit, more than youd expect an 18 year old to know (not trying to sound like a know-it-all) and my dad was a tech for years but now is the market manager for a chain of Auto Repair shops in the Baltimore area. I am currently in school learning the game myself so i can start my own Tuner/custom machine shop. I AM ALWAYS LOOKING TO BE CORRECTED CAUS IM STILL LEARNING SO THANK YOU!

PS. in my highschool yearbook we got to put in our favorite quotes (being seniors we got "privliges"(sp again)) and i put your "fixer of broken......." quote and i couldnt remember who had it just rememberd reading it on here. I just put by a fellow SCer.

Chris

Boys,boys, boys, I'm not 18 either but I can tell you it's easy to spray clean the TB & intake with the motor running (only disconnect the intake hose from the TB & work the throttle). I made the mistake of trying to clean the IAC passage/valve and even with teflon safe spray it dissolved the rubber valve bellows and cost me some aggrevation & a new valve. So once in a while I take the IAC off and clean it with electrical cleaner & a very soft little paint brush.
My 2 cents, anyway,
Jim.

Boys, boys, boys, I'm not eighteen either
Joisey Jim.

It seems you're making a mountain out of a mole hill Jim. As for me I have two boys, one's in 4th grade and the others in 7th. Even though Chris is only eighteen I was very impressed with his posts, he seemed level headed and has a refreshing attitude for his age. I'm not just saying that because he quoted me either, though that was nice. I would say that your post was the most offensive and argumentative one yet, but, I'm really not P.O.ed or trying to get to you Jim I just don't see where you're coming from.

Hey Chris you remind me a lot of me at your age, keep a level head and good attitude, always be willing to learn, once you are able to fully apply yourself you can do well.

Vernon

Back