Just did exhaust...not real happy

BlkSCnKS

I just had the exhaust done on my '95 SC and it sounds like a ricer in my opinion. I have never been embarrased to drive my SC until today. They cut the pipes after the front two cats, went 2.25 into a dual in single 3" out Magnaflow muffler part #12278, then 3" back and split it back up into dual 2.5" with no mufflers on the rear. The pipe is not mandrel bent so I did the 2.5" in the rear to make up for the bends. It sounds ok at an idle but sounds really ricey 2,000 rpm and on. I think I have read that the sound will change after awhile. Will it? Also, what mufflers should I go with if it doesn't change? I would like to have a deep sounding exhaust but I would rather have it sound like the stock exhaust then what it sounds like now. Please help! Brandon

That Magnaflow is the resonator.

IF your strapped for cash, get the Dynomax super turbos. If not, get some Borla's.

go cheap get cheap sound. get some high flow down tubes, high flow cats and some mandrel bent pipe. I have that set up and the car sounds amazing. if you need to quite it down then get some new pipes or the dynomaz turbos.

I have almost the identical setup, except I have 2" downpipes, 2" high flow cats and a Flowmaster 50 series instead of your magnaflow. It sounds awsome! Not too loud yet sure turns some heads. Beefy idle (I have a stage I cam), many people ask me if it's a v8, and when it revs it sounds like a Borla exhaust. It has a few different notes at differents RPM's. From idle to 2400 it sounds beefy with a hint of borla, then it calms down a little till 3100 RPM's where the Borla sound really kicks in nicely, sounds like that till about 4500 and calms down a little again. I like it because I can almost control what I and others hear with the RPM's. Cruise by cops at 2700 and bring shame to the ricers at 3200.

So IMO try the Flowmaster. I had to set it back a little farther and it's just a tad bit angled but I have no clearance problems. It's a big fat muffler but it sure hits the notes good. Flows awsome. I think part of your problem might be the stock cam (if you have one).

I've ordered Kooks headers, 2.5 downpipes and 2.5 high flow cats from SCP and am istalling it next week. I'm hoping I don't lose much of my sound.

Rear mufflers

I think I am going to let it go a couple weeks (need more money) then I will put two rear mufflers on it. Would flowmaster 50 series back there sound ok? Would it make the resonance worse? I don't mind a loud exhaust as long as it doesn't sound like rice. Has anybody had experience with Spintech, Hooker Aeroflows, or Edelbrock mufflers? I think my safest bet would be Borla but I really don't want to pay the price. Brandon

If your system has been done in stainless steel pipe, then go with the Borla's. Model 40665 should work nicely!

If not, then look at something done in aluminized steel.

Cheers,

Sean

i disagree

i like the flowmaster sound mines not ricey its prolly ricey cause u start off with a smaller pipe then went bigger heres a clip of mine mustang headers with 2.25 all the way through true duals into two flowmaster 40's i also kept the stock cats oh yeah this is only on a n/a 3.8l v6 sound even better on a sc

http://members.tccoa.com/lx2sc/exhaust.mpg

My Flowmaster catback isn't the best, but dammit it sounds good! Very quiet, just a hit of deep exhaust, comes alive when I'm on it, but not obnoxiously loud or high pitched. No drone whatsoever, on the interstate you can barely hear it at steady cruising speed. Some like it louder, but it sounds great to me. These are 40's in the catback.

*I would like to hear the SCP Magnaflow setup though--this thing does come off if necessary. ;)

I have the SCP with cats and kooks headers..Sounds great..Mellow yet great tone..Not sure how well it flows though..It is all mandrel bent however

Last edited:
Gotta agree with Jafo...my flowmaster setup sounds exactly like he described...not for the "hot rod" sound but mellow performance with no irritating drone on the highway! I was going to go dynomax for the price but after gathering as many opinions as i could, the consensus was that dynomax 2000 and earlier were great but newer ones took a serious dip in quality and scared me away from them!!
jusy my .02

That Magnaflow may not be a resonator. I had a Custom 2.25" dual setup on my 86 5.0 Bird wiht magnaflow mufflers and i loved the sound. It was nice and deep but not overly loud either. IT did take a few thousand miles for them to "break in" as they are straight thru with just matting inside.

On my SC i have gutted cats and used a straight peice of pipe instead of the resonator with the Flowmaster Force 2 catback and it sounds great. It is nice and deep but smooth att he same time. When you get on it the blower screams and the exhaust is nice too. I get lots of compliments including Johnny Lightning of Johnny Lighting performance at the Dragstrip on night!

Chris

Back