Emergency

Matt SC ESC

After putting on a raised top, the car WILL NOT idle... i have no idea what is going on... when i put the stock top back on... it idles fine, but when i change it... it goes back to it's crappy idle... someone help!!!

You're probably not getting a good IC tube seal with the raised top. It takes some fanagling, but you should be able to get the tube to seal up well.

Ohhhh. Well, I've always used the Ford Teflon Tape. Your regular thread sealer teflon tape ain't gonna cut it. Some have had success with the RTV I believe, but I think you need to let it setup for a while. Why don't you just get a set of IC tube gaskets from TBird88. I think he sells a set for $15 and they're reusable and easy to install.

Try some Pipe Dope! Good stuff.

Seriously, duct tape? Unreal. Get a mini-sealing kit from Ford (see part number in nearby post) or click on Tbird88's products link and order his reusable teflon gaskets, they work well. If you're in a real pinch use silicone again but like this.

When installing the raised top you have to clearance grind the upper tube bracket eye off. Then install all pipes and intercooler with nuts hand tight. Torque spanner nut (you do have a Spanner Nut Wrench don't you, you better) first to 75 ft. lbs.. Make sure the intercooler is clearing the alterator pully enough to remove the belt. Then tighten the intercooler flange nuts to 15 ft. lbs., then tighten the lower tube rear flange nuts (if loosened) to 15. Then go back and torque the spanner nut to 148 ft. lbs. Wait 15 minutes and retorque the spanner nut to 150 Ft lbs.

Vernon

Hey matt, don't break your back, just install it, without the spacer for right now.... besdies, you have another chance next month..... good luck....

didn't you make a spacer to put under the top, one that is like a carb spacer? If so then you probably didn't miter the spacer so that the top will still line up with the tube.

Jeff

A geuss 1002 uses was too much to ask.

Matt SC ESC said:
yes, i did make a spacer, but i also bent the i/c tube so it matches up perfectly
I've never heard of bending the IC tube to make the raised top fit :confused:

To me that sounds like it might be one of your problems. I would recommend that you contact Tbird88 for those telfon gaskets! You'll be glad you did, trust us!

Calvin

Last edited:
How on earth did you bend an IC tube??? Cut and reweld? I would take that spacer out, it’s not going to do anything for you if you haven’t opened up the neck. It also makes it harder to seal since you have 2 places to seal. If you have your heart set on using the spacer use copper or blue RTV, and use it sparingly only about 1/32” deep.

Jeff

Hey Matt -

Mike uses hi temp orange RTV. I watched him do it: narrow bead all the way around the convex side of the connection.

Worked like a champ on Al's. :cool:

Lee

BTW left pic on "Next Meeting Feb"

i dont like RTV but if your using a spacer that is not machined for the flange on the blower than you have to use it. If it is then use some stuff that permatex makes. it is in a clear/red tube. IT is called Aneroebic Sealer (spelling). It doesnt harden up as RTV does and is great for sealing up the IC flanges too. I havent tried it on the Spanner nut yet as i havent broke that seal.

Also j57ltr is correct about the troat, just spacing up the top isnt the key. Check the aftermarket tops available compared to the stock, not only is it higher but that height makes the throat alot more open and unrestrictive also!

good luck
Chris

Back