balancer removal

Randy N Connie

What is the easiest way to lock the pulleys down so i can get the bolt out
of the balancer, with out bending the pulleys.

Is there a way to brake the alternator nut loose with out taking it off.

Last edited:
Randy,

Remove the four small bolts that hold the pully to the balancer. Then scew two bolts of the same size back into two of the holes and use a pry bar or a large screw driver between the two bolts to prevent crank from rotating while unscrewing the big bolt that holds the dampner on.

It and the alternator pulley nut will come off much easier with an air impact wrench. I installed my ASP underdrives with the alternator still on the car, but had to stand on the nut with an impact wrench for about 2 minutes straight to break it loose. It was also necessary to loosen the upper IC flange to get the alternator pulley on mine.

Are you changing pulleys or dampner or both ?

David

Last edited:
Another way to stop the crankshft from turning while you remove the bolts is to remove the little rubber cover from the tranny housing and put a "deep well" socket on one of the bolts on the torque converter. As you rotate the crank, the socket will "wedge" on the tranny housing opening and hold the crank still. It is kind of a pain, but so is everything else when you work on these birds.........

Dave or Ljgriggs

My sc has a miss in it. Codes show bad cps. would the sc still run
if the balancer was a little off, but have a miss once in a while.and the cps
would still be good.But the balancer be bad. I can not see any wobble
in balancer though.

Back