Need some help ASAP

1990_Tbird_SC

Hello. As i was driving home today i noticed my battery light come on, weird thing is that it only came on when i hit the brakes. I want to test the altenator myself before I rip it out, I have a multimeter is there anyway to test it if so can you explain it to me

Thanks

Take your car to Auto Zone or one of the other national chains. They will test the alternator and battery while still in the car for free.

David

I might try that. But its really weird, the battery light stays on but it flickers (hard to explain) when i give it gas that light gets brighter, telling me that the car is charging. I looked in my service manual and it said the battery should be at 12volts when the car is off which it was and at 14-15volts when running. It stayed at 12volts, the voltage doesnt rise or fall when the car is running.

I dont trust anybody checking out my car but me, even for free. Ive had to many people try to screw me so I rather just figure it out myself

1990_Tbird_SC said:
I might try that. But its really weird, the battery light stays on but it flickers (hard to explain) when i give it gas that light gets brighter, telling me that the car is charging. I looked in my service manual and it said the battery should be at 12volts when the car is off which it was and at 14-15volts when running. It stayed at 12volts, the voltage doesnt rise or fall when the car is running.
I dont trust anybody checking out my car but me, even for free. Ive had to many people try to screw me so I rather just figure it out myself
Glad to be of help here. I'm of the same mind. So, let me summarize, then I'll get to the details:
Your alternator is gone and in fact, its telling you that its gone.

The alternator's internal regulator circuit is what lights the light bulb on the dash.. nothing else in any circuit in the car can turn that bulb on. When it dims, its actually making a slight amount of output, when its brighter, little or zero output. If the light comes on constantly, then you can take it to a place and they'll machine test it and sure enough it'll test bad. If the light flickers, then its iffy.. it may test OK, or not depending on the mood its in that day. You sort of have to wait for it to fail completely.
This presents a problem, because when that happens, you're left to limp home on battery reserve alone. daytime OK, nightime not good.
When the alternator is working, you should be able to test the voltage across the battery posts (not the clamps) with the engine idling and measure 13.5 - 15V. With the engine off, you should measure 12V.
You should get a charger and keep the battery fully charged until you are able to get a replacement alternator.. This is important for 2 very good reasons:
1. When the alternator cuts out, you're driving on the battery for as long as it can hold out. Turn off all non-essential accesories (lights, A/C, fans, radio).
2. When you install a new alt, if the battery isn't fully charged, it will overwork itself and wear out and you'll be getting another one again.
Also, get a bulb type battery tester to be sure, don't rely just on how long it was hooked up to the charger. Test it.

I don't have a good recommendation for a supplier for alternators. Autozone's Duralast (what I have) is a poor quality reman which usually means that all remans are probably poor. They just resell the most of them. It took 3 of them to get a good one. But... it is lifetime warranted.. :rolleyes: so you're stuck. Problem is you have to suffer a lot with the breakdowns and proving the part is junk. They don't just fail, they flicker but test out OK. You might check out Napa and grill the guy about the lousy reputation of rebuilt alternators.

If you decide to try and drive around with a bad alternator and a charged battery don't expect to get very far, our cars use a lot of juice (compared to my 68 ford).

Took it to advanced auto parts....The alt had a bad diode. I know these cars are hungry for just about everything and as i drove home i knew that something wasnt right so i let my car idle in my garage for about 1 hr as i flipped threw my service manual then i tested the battery. I had to shell out 185 bucks for a reman :( nothing on this car is cheap, but i like the stuff i get from advanced. Thank you all for your help

I'm serious about fully charging the battery on a charger first. These remans have a horrible record and marginally suitable electronics. So don't take any chances.

Even if you already ran it for a while with even a 1/2 charged battery, test it and recharge it if necessary.

I'll spare you all the whys for now, that is unless someone wants to know.

93SC, I can attest to that.. one cold night, with no alternator, I had to drive across town and didn't quite make it. Luckily I had the cell that night and wasn't too far from home and the wife came over and we limped it home. I just about took that POS from autozone and gave the manager an alternator dent on his head after that because of their return policy.. I call it the curse..

Back