modding this summer, a little help

derekhay316

This summer I'm looking to mod my stock sc. I plan to get eibach shocks first, then replace the stock resonator with a big *** magnaflow one and cutting off the mufflers. After that I'll do the intake with a scp fresh air w/ k&n and either a 10% or 5% sc pulley. I was just wondering how much this will boost my quarter mile time (right now its at about high 15's)? Also how much will this raise my horsepower and torque? Also should i be getting anything to accomodate these upgrades better? Thanks a lot for the info.

For bang for the buck, exhaust and 5% or 10% pulley will be something you will feel right away. Just make sure that you do the exhaust first. I would also get a larger MAF and CAI. The stock maf is 55 mm and the stock TB is 60 mm.

If you do the resonator only and find the exhaust too loud you can always add mufflers to the rear. The resonator is the single largest restriction in the stock exhaust system. For those mods the deletion of the factory resonator and mufflers are more than enough to relieve some back pressure.

On my 90 SC I have a SCP CAI, C&L 73mm MAF, Racer Walsh 10%+ pulley, Custom Stainless Y-Pipe and 2 Magnaflow SS Mufflers and I get a solid 15lbs. of boost. The exhaust tone sounds more like an F1 race car when in the gas but is very mellow at idle and cruising speeds. It sounds almost like a V-8 when it is idling, NO JOKE! Everyone that hears it really likes the way that it sounds. No obnoxious droan. I highly reccomend Magnaflow or Borla over anything else for that reason. I have experience with both on my cars.

I have a 95 SC 5-speed that I am getting ready to mod for summer in the next month and I am going to do just about the same thing to it except I am going to add a 70mm TB to it that I bought last year and only a 5% pulley -vs- the 10%.

Hope this helps.

Bob

I have not had either SC to the track yet. I will definately do it after the "Ice Age" is over. I would bet that my 90 Auto will run in under 15 seconds based on the fact that it will dust a late model Mustang GT. It feels very similar to my 90 Mustand LX 5.0 did when it was totally stock. My 90 LX ran mid 14's stock if I remember correctly. It runs 12's on street tires now so I can't compare it to it now.

I have heard guys saying that between .5 and 1 second off of your quarter mile time is pretty easy to get to with most of the mods that we have listed. I would like to dyno one of my cars in the spring just to see what kind of HP/TQ it is getting. My guess would be about 50 or so HP with the mods on my 90.

Bob

By my "seat of the pants" dyno, my gears where definately the best mod so far. If you're still going to be driving the car a lot, 3.27's would be a great improvement for your 5 speed. You'd also be smart to add a set of air bags in the rear to help you launch without bouncing yourself to death. Hope this helps. :)

I got my gears on Ebay for $75.00 shipped. They are not exactly a slap in deal, and if you've never done it you're probably better off watching someone else your first time. I took my punkin to a friend and he did it for free. While it was apart we put in new bearings ($20), new seals ($12), and IRS bushings ($60). It would probably run anywhere for $100-$250, but thats just a guess. Any 3.27 gears for a Ford 8.8 rear end will work. Or you can find a stock AOD rear end and swap that in, because they came from the factory with them. Either way it's not TOOO expensive for the results that you get.

I agree that gears are also a good mod. I had Ford put the 3:55 gears in my Mustang. If you let someone do it who is inexperienced you can get a lot of gear whine that will be annoying. You have to know just how to put them in to avoid this. For a strictly Drag Car 3:55's are good but for a street driven T-bird 3:27's are as steep as I would go. The 5-speed in the SC has very aggressive gears down low.

A gear-set about $150 and labor about $250 is about right. Richmond or Ford Motorsport gears are my top 2 choices.

Bob

3:55's are not good for any 5-speed, they might feel faster but the times will actually be slower, way too much shifting. and first is useless

Back