Fuel Tank Replace

Mike8675309

Well I am starting my spring work early. Or at least starting my research until my wife will let me spend some money.

I have a line on a fuel tank out of a 1996 T-bird. Will that work o.k. in my 89? I've heard of 93+ being better tanks for the exhaust routing but 1996 is pretty new. Is it still a better tank, or should I stick to 1995 or older?

Thanks.

That tank is just fine. Be sure and get the passenger side strap with the tank, you'll need it for the re-installation. Also, use your current SC pump and sending unit assembly. Always use a new rubber ring to seal the sending unit when putting it in the new tank. Ford part # E1VZ-9417-B.

Thanks. While I'm at it I was going to put a new, higher flow pump in as well so that's still my plan.

The tank is still in a car in a salvage yard.. They will remove it, (won't let anyone in the yard) so I'll tell them to save the straps but if not I suppose I can get them from Ford or make my own?

I haven't thought it through yet. I've got at least two years to go before heavy mods and a EEC tuner. So this year it's:

new exhaust with non-ported stock exhaust manifolds.
larger MAF
Bigger Intake Tube
Cold Air Divider and Cone Filter
IC Fan

And that's about it on the engine. Most of my mods for the next few years are just going to be rebuilding the chassis to something decent. With 140k miles I'm planning a rebuild in two years.

So a 190 might be it. But to avoid doing it twice I may look at the 255 pump. I just haven't thought yet about the issues with running such a high flow pump when not even coming close to using it's flow.

Back