EGR Deletion

007_SuperCoupe

I'm aware that people have done this to their SCs, but what I'm wondering is the process involved. I am currently having EGR woes and am thinking about doing the deletion as opposed to just fixing it. I know that the early and late SCs had the EGR, but the middle years didn't. Is there any real benefit to having it or not? And my other question, is about the deletion. How will that affect my every day drivability? Is it as simple as just putting a plate where the EGR valve circulates into the intake, or is there more? I'm planning on new exhaust this summer so I want to get this setup done before that. The big thing I'm wondering about is the wiring harness for the EGR. If I delete it, do I still need to have a signal going back to the EEC, or do I need to get an EEC from one of the years that didn't have the EGR? Anyone? The fix, one way or another, will happen very soon as it is getting progressively worse. And just FYI, there are no emmission standards here. Thanks!

I was going to do this on my 94 but I live near Chicago and Im afraid it wont pass. It shoud be just a simple plate with a gasket and plug the vac line. My year has a transducer behind the blower
with 2 lines from the exhaust. all this would need to be removed.
You didnt say what year car you have.

It's an '89. Forgot that part. I put a '95 sc on it, but the EGR remains '89. And I'm not too sure about how it will affect emmissions because there were SCs made without the EGR. Unless they did something more than I'm thinking they did, eliminating the EGR won't affect it that much. Now, if the EGR is not working properly, I can see how that can adversely affect it. But I'm no expert. I'm just trying to find someone who knows a lot more about this than I do.

a bad EGR will cause a vac leak at idle. It only opens at mid to high throttle to allow unburned gas to re enter the intake. My 93 has no EGR and only 2 cats. I dont know why they used 3 cats on some models. By removing it you should pick up some HP and cure that vac leak. Just dont tear the parts up incase it dose not work out. Let us know

Heres a thought. to plug it use soft metal with 2 gaskets to block it off without removing the EGR to see what happends.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, but I'm wondering about any problems that go along with it. For instance, does the CE light come on if you just 'cap off' the EGR? Anyone have experience with this?

I'm not totally sure but I think you may need a custom tune for the EEC since it is already programed for that air from the EGR. My 90 5speed has it but not my 90 AOD. I had a nightmare fighting detonation with the 5speed when I removed my intake and lost the little factory sensor hose going from the EGR pipe to the transducer. After replacing if several times, I realised it was a special hose made of silicone to withstand the exhaust heat. Once I paid $50. to Ford for a new 8" hose, it fixed my detonation problem. From everything I've read, it does not come into much play at WOT anyway, so I can't see how plugging it will produce more HP. good luck

Yes the EGR is deletable. It will throw a check engine light but it shouldn't affect drivability. To fix you will need either a custom chip or EEC Tuner. To physically remove it, you need to close the opening on the exhaust manifold, remove the transducer and cover the EGR port on the inlet. 90 Auto and 91-93 are EGR Free so you can get most of the parts from them. I believe a 91 EEC will swap in an 89-91 but I have yet to find out for sure any other years may require rewiring the connector which if you're up to it, it is doable.

Back