Engine noise

mortamyr

'94SC with 50K miles
There's a noise coming from the engine sounds like sewing machine. The sound is faster as I accelerate? Any idea as to what this is?

On another note, but maybe related, my '94 SC failed the emmissions test. The test said that I have too much hydrocarbon. I took it to PepBoys to see what was wrong with it and they were telling me to change the Scharger belt, the serpentine belt, the 02 sensors, the alternators, fuel filter, etc, for a total of $1,500. I went to auto parts store and showed them what PepBoys had said and they told me that most of the time they exagerate on what the car is needed. They told me to clean the throttle body and the fuel injectors, replace fuel filter, change the spark plugs and wires. Does anyone here know what I should use to clean the throttle?

I hope you guys have some good news. I love this car and it only has 50K. I've had it for 3 years (25k I've runned myself)

Thank you all.

As for the noises. Use a stethoscope (or a long screwdriver or broom handle as a probe) on the running engine and listen around the supercharger, pulleys, and pumps. Vary the engine speed and you should be able to identify the source.

as for the noise it could be the idler pullys. mine went south right away. Jack the car up use jack stands and with a rubber malet tap the cats and resonator. If you hear a rattle you need some new cats.

When mine was ticking like a sewing machine, it turned out to be a bad roller on the lifter on #2 cylinder, exhaust port. The noise came suddenly and was there all of the time. It sounded louder when I was next to a solid wall. I had to keep driving it while I waited for parts to arrive but the bad lifter finally vibed the rocker bolt loose and the car stop, even though I had the SC belt off. The parts didn't cost that much but it took me a couple of days to fix it. good luck

Thank you scbird1 and TbirdSCFan! That helps alot. I'll be doing some testing this weekend and I'll let you know what happened. I really appreciate your replies.

Back