oil in ic tube?

white90sc

After taking my innercooler tubes off i noticed that their was a little bit of oil in the tubes

What would cause that? why?

Thanks Jerry

Jerry, that's crankcase vapors from your pcv system, which dumps into the intake just behind your throttle body & is normal. You can clean the tubes and you might as well clean the I/C chamber while you're at it.

oil in IC tubes

The oil is a result of the vaporization of the synthetic oil in the SC.

This is normal....it is just a slight film......

Make sure you top off and check the SC fluid.....search the threads...it is the GM.....etc...that's about 8 bucks a bottle....

The oil is a result of the vaporization of the synthetic oil in the SC.

No it isn't...It's coming from the crankcase through the PCV valve on the passenger side rocker cover and then enters the intake plenum via a vacuum hose.

David

Dave has to be right. Otherwise there would be some kind of maintinace indication for refilling the SC (like so many miles and stuff, like oil and plugs ect...).

The PCV sucks fumes from the crankcase and runs it back through the intake (SC/Inlet/IC). There are oil mists in these fumes that deposit on your I/C and tubes. There are people who have installed filters on the PCV line to reduce this which you may want to check into if you are worried about it but it is normal.

Yes, here is a fuel filter and a couple feet of 5/16" vacuum I installed to trap the oil. The filter gets about half full every oil change.

Some mist/oil still gets into the intake, but not nearly as much after installing the filter.

PVCFilter.jpg

David

I'm sure you've heard this a lot, but

Where'd you get that little "catch can" looking thing? Is that an off the shelf fuel filter?

Mike O.

Yes it's an off the shelf generic fuel filter from Auto Zone, the filter and 2ft. of 5/16" vacuum hose cost about $5. I zip tied mine to the BAP sensor so I can see how full the oil is getting.

Filter fills about halfway with motor oil between oil changes.

David

Re: oil in IC tubes

vettewars said:
Make sure you top off and check the SC fluid.....search the threads...it is the GM.....etc...that's about 8 bucks a bottle....
As the cars age, the snout seal will allow more fluid to seep out. In general, when the mileage is over 80,000 its best to check the SC fluid regularly.. like every 10,000 miles or so. With SCs being expensive parts, unless you like spending dough, this is an important part of SC maintenance.

Back