caliper removal ????

XR7Kurt

My crappy Haynes manual says to remove the retaining clip on the parking brake cable, is this the spring? I don't see anything else that could be a retaining clip, but it looks like it could be a pain to get back on if it isn't it so I thought I would check with ya'll first. Also, anything else that might be tricky on the front or rear brakes would be helpful also. Thanks.

Release the brake lever on the console to take the tension off the cable. Grab the end of the cable with a pair of pliers and pull it loose from the catch.

The rear caliper pistons are a little funky. You need to either get the caliper piston tool or use a pair of needle nose pliers to rotate the face of the piston in order to get it to "seat" back in the caliper. I used pliers, but I think the piston tool would be a better way to go. (these should be available at a parts store for a couple of bucks)

The fronts are easier, just use a "C-clamp" to compress the piston back into the caliper.

The rears sound easier than it may be. If they haven't been worked on in a while and/or if you're not familiar with them it may take a little while longer than you would expect. It's not difficult, but age can make it time consuming.

Back