Help

Rollinphat

I own a 90 Thunderbird 3.8L and i want to Supercharge it what do i need from a 3.8L SC to convert it to a superchargerd 3.8L.:confused:

If You put a Super Coupe supercharger on a n/a 3.8L it'll break the crank and blow it up. The SC 3.8L engine is different. You could put a Vortech or Paxton centrifugal blower on it Ok. Check out supersixmotorsport.com for some ideas.

Why would it Snap the crank. I didnt think i was adding that much horsepower??:confused: If i got a Crank form a SC 3.8L then would it work and what else would i need from a SC engine:confused:

If you have an SC crank you should be OK. Remember there is one of the main journals that is intentionally .010 smaller to help identify it as an SC crank and pervent a n/a crank from going into an SC block. SC cranks are forged and nitrided and the cast n/a cranks just aren't strong enough to withstand the extra torque from a roots blower. The centrifugal blowers put their power into the high end. The heads apparently have some differences, too. You might see if you can find an SC engine from a junk yard and rebuild it. I'm not an expert now, but this is my understanding. Good luck with your project.

don't waste your time

It would be infinitely easier to just drop a 5.0L in there. Get one out of either an 91-93 T-bird/cougar or a 94-95 mustang. You'll also need V8 springs for the t-bird, and the 5.0L computer and wiring harness, but all this is still vastly less complicated than trying to swap in the SC motor. Not to mention that the performance potential of the 5.0L is much higher than the 3.8V6.

HOnestly speaking, it is just better to buy a superCoupe. I had a '92 LX and was thinking about the same thing. It has ended up much cheaper and I'm a lot happier with my SC. I even tossed the idea of a 351 in my '92, but the SC was cheaper by far. And I'm driving it now. I probably wouldn't be driving a T-bird right now, if I went for the conversion. Take your time and look around for a good SC to buy. They are out there and are a lot cheaper than converting your '90.

Back