Vehicle Information System in 91???

klsoneSC

Does the Vehicle Information System module plug in to the 91 SC? Don't know if that is the correct name for it, the monitor that tells you when to change your oil etc... hope you know what I'm talking about. Anyway, since there is a slot in the dash for it I assume there is wiring back there to install it right? How hard is it to install that thing? Thanks for any info!

Try a search, and according to what I read, its not as simple as that, the sensors were different on cars without it and etc, so I think your out of luck and I wouldnt mind if I didnt have it because it doesnt seem to work a lot , my low windshield washer never went on even when it was empty! and my low oil didnt come on when I had no oil, but thats another story.

Start diggin for it. If it's there you should be able to find it beneath the radio slot or behind the glove box. It's called a Vehicle Maintanance Monitor. Another thing to look for would be a sensor on your coolant overflow tank and one on your oil pan.

Yes, I do have a rather large sensor on the overflow tank. Whereabouts on the oil pan should I look for a sensor? Was the VMM actually offered on the 89-91 SC's? What would the connectors behind the radio or glove box look like? Plain wires or an actual connector? I don't really care if it is totally accurate as I check my fluids regularly, I just think it is cool and would like to have it in my car. Thanks for your help guys!!!!

VMM

Yes, it came on many early SCs but it was changed to a different design later. I have 2 90 SCs and both have it. It has a big long connector in the dash, I'll post a pic if needed. You will also need a connector on the fuel tank and washer res as well as the others mentioned. The VMM is a computer that keeps its own memory even after you unplug it so once you plug it in for the first time you need to reset it.

VMM pic

VMM.jpg

The sensor on the oil pan is on the passenger side I believe, about midway up the pan. Should be clearly visible from beneath the car.

Back