anyone running a 3.8L n/a torque converter?

RancherV6Lee

I've got a 93' cougar 3.8L N/A parts car and I'm thinking of installing the torque converter in my 90 SC for a bit more stall speed. has anyone done this yet? does anyone have the K specs of both the converters? (both trannies are AOD)

I did this last Fall. I put a Ford 140k torque converter in my 94 SC which had a 110k converter in it from the factory. The 140k torque converter is the factory converter for all 3.8 N/A T-Birds (with the 4R70W transmission) and all 4.6 T-Birds. The swap moved my stall speed up about 400 rpm which is not a lot but it helps. My 60' went from 2.0's to 1.9's. My best 1/4 mile E.T. before the swap was 14.079. After the swap and under pretty much the same weather conditions my best 1/4 mile E.T. is 14.000. The difference is probably not all from the converter swap because I removed my full power passenger seat on the 14.000 run but I can feel the difference off the line.

I don't know the K spec's for the different AOD torque converters but you could E-mail Jerry W (Ford OD Transmissions 101 author) for the information.

Last edited:
I'm going for a performance rebuild on My supercoupe soon (192,000 miles on her) and With a 205/205 .477 lift cam I figured a bit more stall wouldn't hurt. I'll have to send Jerry a e-mail and see if he has the specs, I'm just looking for a 200-300rpm increase in stall speed without shelling ALOT of money out for another converter (just payed 1000$ for a multidisc PI 3000rpm converter for my 96' LX)

I will soon have a stock 3.8L N/A 4r70w converter for sale.

According to the data from Ford Thunderbird Specifications on this web site the 1993 N/A 3.8 Cougar has a 165 K factor torque converter while the 1990 SC has a 140 K.

3.8 n/a converter

Is this converter a lock up or non-lock up?

Will it fit a '92 SC?

Is it a very hard job to change them out? Does anyone have details how to change the torque converter?

What is a "K" factor?

thanks-

Back