3:31 Stock for 95

1BADSC

hey i just read in a service manual that the 95 SC's were offered with the 3:27 ratio and a 3:31 has any of you ever encountered a 3:31 in an SC.

94 and 95 automatic SC's both came with a 3.31:1 gear set. I believe all 95's got them and I know some 94's got them. My 94 had 3.31's from the factory before I put some 3.55's in. I still have the 3.31's in a box.:D

Thanks guys. Does anyone know how the 3:73's or the 3:55's are in the auto, as far as RPM at 65 MPH, I do some highway driving and I don't want to spin high RPMs all day long.

From what i got from the gear calc at www.302cobra.com the 3:31's are identical to the 3:08's I have in my 5-speed. 3:27's in a 5 speed are identical to 3:55's in an auto, and the 3:55's in the 5-speed are identical to 3:73's in the auto. Can anyone tell me about everyday driveability with any of these gear ratios in the 94-95 autos.

After replacing the 3.31's with 3.55's my 94 can actually smoke the tires through an intersection or whatever real easy where as before the gear change I would be lucky if I could chirp a tire. I also put in a trac-lok differential when I did the gears and these two changes together really improved the dead stop acceleration of the car. Although going from 3.31's and an open differential to 3.55's and a trac-lok differential dosen't seem like much of a change it really is. Everyday driveability with the 3.55's is excellent city or highway. I don't believe that would be the case with 3.73's and an automatic 94-95 SC...at least not highway.

3.73's seem's to be a good gear set for 89-93 automatics but they are a little much for a 94 or 95 automatic in my opinion. Compare the gear ratio's of the 4R70W and the AOD transmissions and you'll see the 4R70W's gears are fairly lower (higher numerically) so the the two transmissions will respond much differently to a particular rear end ratio.

That is what I was thinking. I still can't believe that Ford didn't use a traction lock. How much is the traction lock kit, and where can I get it from. I already have a set of 3:55's From Ford that I took out of my 89 -5speed because they were too steep for the 5-speed. So now I guess I just need to get the traction lock.

Back