Ranger Question (not the place sorry)

pearlwhite94sc

Guys i know this is not the place for this but i cannot get a response on the Ranger Stations boards. Anyway yesterday we were doing some offroading in the snow and my 98 ranger xlt offroad blew its front differential. it exploded from the inside out. i will try and post the picture but i have trouble getting it to work sometimes. what i need to know is does anyone know what differential is in these trucks so i can find a new one, as im screwed now that my SC is down and my ranger is my daily driver.

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• diff small.jpg
    diff small.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 121
Try these two places...First, RPS then OffRoadRangers....Good luck...Sorry, not into the off roading thing but big into the Rangers..Good luck again!
Regards,
TBSCoupe
AKA RangerNOS

RPS
Off Road Rangers

probably an 8.8, I think ranger only? read the tag attached to the dif cover boltsf. Looks ike you jammed something against the pinion, were you spinning one tire at times?:eek:

I think it may be a Dana 35 in the front of your truck, don't know for sure ... that's what the older ones had with the I-beam front end. 1998 was the first year for the torsion bar suspension on the Ranger, so a replacement would have to come from a 98 or newer Ranger, or possibly a 95 or newer Explorer unit might fit as well.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

its not an 88 i know that for sure. its a lot smaller and i had a feeling that it was a dana but not sure the exact model. Thanks for the reply guys. and i posted on offroadrangers also.

Thanks for the replys guys

Chris

Dude, just dig a little on TheRangerStation.com. The info is there if you look for it.

Ford Rangers come with a Twin Traction Beam (TTB) front suspension up to 1998. 1998 and newer use a Dana 35 IFS suspension with a centrally located differential. The two (2) TTB axle assemblies used were the Dana 28 and Dana 35. The Dana 28 was the original front axle offered in the 4x4 Ranger and was available until 1990.

Click below for the pictures so you can figure it out.
http://www.therangerstation.com/4wd_Front_Axles.html

Back