EGR Valve?

motocross_masta

wut is an EGR valve, it says that they come in '89 and '90 SC's and i think '94's but i'm not sure. Wut is it and wut difference does it make?

It's the Exhuast Gas Recurculation Valve. You don't need to worry about. And what is Wut? Is that something from a rap song? "wut, wut, yo yo, wut wut"

Thomas

Boy, Thomas, you're on fire tonight! Just remember, a person has to start from somewhere.

motocross_masta don't be discouraged. Asking questions are how you get answers. The EGR basically recirculates exhaust into your intake. YOu only need to worry about it when it is not working properly, as in my case right now. It will cause your car to die when idling. Other than that, I found it a pain in the @$$ to reconnect when I took my supercharger off.

its a habbit from MSN. The wut is is shorter than What and the keys are a lil closer making it alittle faster to type. Thanx for the help... 007_supercoupe

good

Glad this was brought up. I read that the EGR makes the car lose power, but heard that it was ok to not use the EGR anymore. so i was going to do exhaust in a few months and was wondering if i should get rid of the EGR, or is the power loss to little to worry about? what do you guys suggest?
Thanks-
Damon

I just rebuilt my motor from oil pan up, and didnt connect the egr back up to the supercharger, I made a block off plate that goes in its place. As for the manifold, I left the big nuts on there and then found a bolt that fits into the nuts, (this way the bolt isnt inside the manifold) and then welded up the bolt and nut.

There is no problems with the car at all, some people say that the check engine light will come on, but it doesnt.

ok

that's interesting GovernsSC, thank you. Do u know how much loss of power you get by keeping it connected? is it like noticeable or just very very little?
Thanks-
Damon

A properly working EGR system on a car designed to use it will help to reduce spark knock. Taking it off of a car that originally had it without reprogramming will at the very least cause a constant check engine light and may cause increased spark knock. I say leave it on until you can deal with the programming side of the equation. Option two is to get an EEC from a 91-93 SC and use that, but that requires a lot of time and rewiring.

cool

alright thanks-- I guess i will just leave it then, seems like too much of a hassle to get rid of. thanks for the responses.
-Damon

Back