Air Silencer?

If you have to take your car to a mechanic to remove the air silencer, you should not own it! Seriously, go buy a Honda.

Thomas

The silencer is very simple to remove. It took me a whole 10 minutes to do. And that includes making 2-3 trips back into my house for tools that I didn't bring out with me. You definately don't need to take it to a mechanic. I haven't checked the above link, but basically you turn the wheel as far as it will go, (I turned it to the right and had no troubles removing anything). Three bolts connect the air intake (engine side) to the silencer (wheel well). If I recall correctly, all I really needed was a 12 or 13mm socket and a phillips screwdriver. I'm sure the link that Jimmy 2Coupes put on here has very simple instructions.

ok...

now the instructions are alot clearer! Thanx 007_supercoupe... and thanx for believing in me Thomas A....*cough cough*

magnum powers

http://www.magnumproductsonline.com/new.html
that will finishit right off and make it even better. there is another kit from someother SC place that makes a tube that goes down where the stock air silencer is and attaches the airfilter there, so it breathes more from underneeth the car. not sure where that is from
if i find out ill post it.

Here is how the MP cool air divider looks when installed.

engine%20013003.jpg

David

Shouldn't own it

Thomas A said:
If you have to take your car to a mechanic to remove the air silencer, you should not own it! Seriously, go buy a Honda.

Thomas
Thomas;
I own three of them and I take them to a mechanic for just about everything. I am diabled with arthritis, I hope its ok with you that I own them. Please advise if I should get rid of them now because I wouldn't want to own something I shouldn't because I can't work on them myself.
Ed

Re: Shouldn't own it

EDHUNT14 said:
I own three of them and I take them to a mechanic for just about everything. I am diabled with arthritis, I hope its ok with you that I own them. Please advise if I should get rid of them now because I wouldn't want to own something I shouldn't because I can't work on them myself.
Ed

'90 Black on Black leather - Stetson's (16)
'90 Silver on Gray cloth-Stacy'S (17)
35th for me

Thomas was probably just trying to not so easily know that if you will struggle with an air silencer on these cars, you'll never be able to do some of the more common things that end up needing repair. Like changing the spark plugs.

But a disability can be understood. And if you have found something you enjoy with the SC's then stick with it. Just be ready to spend money with the mechanic.

For this mod why not have Stacy or Stetson get under there and pull that air silencer out for you. It should be right up their alley with your guidance.

repairs

Mike;

We do some of the simple things, like the cam sensor and such. My point is not everyone can or wants to do their own work. I went through this same thing when I had a '34 ford with a 427 chevy and a blown 283 t-bucket. I bought both of these cars and was looked down on by some people because I didn't build them myself. I used to do my own work, but can't anymore. I know a lot about cars, I just don't work on them now. That doesn't mean I shouldn't own one. I just am sensative to this subject, I guess. I apolagize to anyone I bothered with my reply.

Ed

I may have said some things in poor taste. For that, I apologize. I certianly wasn't trying to mock anyone with a handicap.

Thomas

I would just like to add that the creator of this thread inspired me to remove my Air Silencer tonight. Very easy... took about 20 minutes.

Ed

My dad is also unable to work on his cars and gets raped by the dealers - he lives many states away.
Do what my dad did when I was 16, by your son a tool set($400). Then go to Ebay and pick up the factory manual for ~$40-$50. He will be able to do 90% of the repairs with a little coaching.

Teach your son (and daughter) how to work on their cars, it will definately help them in the future- plus you get to spend a little more time with them.

Hey Thomas - How does that foot taste?:D

Aaron

air silencer

i have removed a air silencer for somebody before, and i havent done it in my car yet, all the snow and cold weather here in MI is a pain is the a**, but i was wondering, does it make a noticable difference? just wondering.

Back