PLEASE HELP! How do you remove a stripped bolt???

klsoneSC

One of the bolts holding my thermostat housing on is stripped and I need to get it off. Any quick suggestions would be GREATLY appriciated!!! PLEASE tell me I can get it off, I am soooo pissed!!! Thanks!

Craftsman makes something that takes off stripped bolts, you beat it on with a hammer and then you can easily wrench it off. I do not know what it is called.

u can do it the way that assclown suggested or you can go to about any tool store and buy a set of vicegrip that is made just for takeing bolts loose. if the head is stripped you just have to tighten the locking pliers down a little tighter to get a good grip on the head of the bolt. I have owned a set for many years and ave found them invaluable time and time again. good luck

also if you do go with assclowns suggestion be careful not to break the ear off of the thermostat houseing. if all else fails and you can get the other bolt out you may ave to cut the head of the one bolt off somehow and pull the houleing off ofit and the try to get ahold of it with a pair of pliers and try to get it out. good luck

Thanks Assclown, I went and got a 12 point 10mm and I was able to get it right off, I also used some penetrating oil. I was totally freaked out; I thought I would have to tow the car to my mechanic and have him do it cause I am such a freakin' dumbass. Anyway, its off and hopefully I can complete what should have been an hour job in 24 hours!!! I also bought a 180 Stant thermostat, anyone use these? Are they ok? I couldn't get the Robert Shaw one like I wanted. Thanks again guys.

Back