need help on HB boltinstallation

Noe

about a month ago my car died while driving int he freeway. I found out its the center bolt that holds the harmonic balancer. or the center crank bolt. it broke off. i bought it and i want to know how wo install it so my SC can start again.
thanks, noe

Take a real close look at the crankshaft dampener. I would strongly consider replacing it as well. If you don't go with a stock replacement go with a BHJ (my preference). I'm guessing the dampener either is or is very close to breaking.

Sorry to say this Noe - Your damper is dead!

The damper broke the bolt and worked its way up the snout far enough that the crank sensor is no longer working. Replacing the bolt is not going to be enough - it may get your car home but you need to change it.

You can get a replacement from Ford (damper and pulley). The better option is a BHJ damper but is much more money. With the BHJ you will need to get your main pulley balanced or get an underdrive pulleyset (recommended).

Cost:
Ford Damper: ~$250 (if you have no plans for big mods)
BHJ Damper: ~$400 plus $30 to balance you pulley or $200 for UD pulleys (if you plan on any big mods esp. overdrive SC pulleys)

As far as pulling the old bolt, go to a good parts house and get an easyout set. It will have several easyouts and reverse twist drills. A lot of time the reverse twist drill will remove the bolt.

1) Remove the belts and main pulley.
2) Center punch the broken bolt. This will guide the drill
3) Carefully drill a hole in the broken bolt - Keep your cool and go slow!!!!!!!!!!!!! - The easy out set will tell you what size and how far in.
4) put the easyout in the hole and tap (gently) into place.
5) The remaining bolt should easily come out now. If the easy out slips, just tap it in and it will grab better.

This is not a bad job if you go slow.

I cannot stress enough that your damper is bad and needs to be replaced. You will not get away with changing just the bolt for long, think about dropping the damper and main pulley at 75+ on the highway. The damage would not be good.

Aaron

Oh well, since nobody's jumped in yet to help out. The comment about a new bolt probably being broken again is valid. But... since you have a new one and if it didn't cost you too many semolians, I'd give it a try. The biggest problem you'll have is keeping the pulley+balancer from spinning while you're trying to torque the bolt. What you need to do is to jack up the car and pull the rubber flap off where the tranny meets the engine exposing the converter or clutch+flywheel. Spin the engine by turning the crank bolt with a wrench until a bolt appears in the rear gap. Stick a deep socket and wrench on that visible bolt and turn the shaft some more until it wedges against the side. You should have a brace to hold the crank shaft still while you finish torquing the main bolt. You'll probably need someone to help you do all this.
Hope this helps.

I think the biggest problem is going to be getting the broken part of the bolt out of the end of the crankshaft.

Let me know if you need some help....

Hey Noe.....contact me and I will tell you everything I know about this situation. I broke Three stock balancers before I put on the BHJ. This may seem overwhelming, but if I can handle this repair, anyone can.

need a harmonic dampener

thanks guys for you help now what i need is a used harmonic dampener cause the one it had did indeed break with the bearing. I am selling the car that is why i dont want to invest any more money on it but if you have one that is not broken email me or post a tread and i will email you back thanks
noe

Back