Help! (Oil pan bolt is messed up)

syphon

So a while ago I was changing my oil, and I noticed the threads on the Oilpan bolt were a little messed up, and I ended up doing something i never should have done, I forced the bolt in.

It's almost all the way in, but it sits a little crooked (you can see it crooked). I'm sure the bolt itself is messed up, but what are the chances the threads on the oilpan are messed up too?

What are my options now? As it sits... it leaks very slowly. Enough that I have to put a quart in every 3 or 4 weeks.

Can I pull the bolt back out, put some type of gasket or something on it to keep it from leaking? Any way I can repair the threads on the oilpan?

Or... Do I have to get a new oilpan? Does removing it involving pulling the engine or something similar with a lot of work?

uh-oh :(

sounds like its cross threaded. i would take the bolt out and drain the oil, then maybe you can re-thread it, but i'm not sure.

yeah i think that you would be able to rethred it becuase it is made out of aluminum and it is a softer metal. DID this once to a lawnmower when i tighten the spark plug to much and just rethreded it and it worked fine. good luck

easy fix

check some auto parts stores and ask for an oversize self tapping replacement plug its a very common problem

As a temporary fix, you might be able to use Teflon plumber's tape on the threads to stop leaking.

Watch out for any metal shavings that might be present in the oil from the grinding bolt.

If you can't get it out, I have found a plumber's wrench to do well. Did this on more than one car after a dealer jackhammered the bolt whilst changing the oil.. even when the bolt was rounded.

Back