update on poor fuel economy...

bigcletus94

I posted a thread not to long ago about how bad my fuel economy was (about 12-13MPG). Aside from the poor mileage, the car idles and runs perfectly. I finally pulled some codes tonight. The KOEO test said 111 'passed'. Then I did a KOER test and got 137 and 173, both of those said "HEGO 02 sensor always rich".

Assuming the car is always running rich might explain why it cranks on a restart after making a stop because it is running too rich and possibly flooding the engine. After seeing these codes, it further confirms my previous thought on replacing the O2 sensors. I will do that soon and repost. If that doesn't help any I guess at that point I will just be screwed.

I thought our unit output 2 digit codes, not 3 digit?

For HEGO rich I would think it would be 92 (left) and 42 (right).

Regardless I'd check the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator for signs of fuel. There should be no fuel in that line. If there is, the regulator has ruptured and fuel is getting sucked into the intake. A lot of fuel.

Mike, is this the fuel pressure regulator?
fpr.jpg

So pop off the top vac line and if fuel drips out of it then it is bad? Thanks.

yep

That is the fpr, and from what i hear, yes if fuel drips out then that means to replace it. Good luck. Did u do the oxygen sensors yet? I have a similar problem, pisisng me off. Let us know

Kyle

no, i have not yet replaced the O2 sensors. The dealerships I have called keep telling me that I only have one O2 sensor but I know there is two. I might do this tommorrow on my day off as well as check the FPR. Just put my HID lights in tonight, man are ever bright as hell.

Now that I think of it... I'm not sure. It should be at the rear of the intake manifold near the drivers side. But it might be under the top SC tube.

Back