Price of a windshield?

syphon

Can anyone give me some ballpark figures on a price to get my windshield replaced?

It started with a small rock chip that was out of my vision from within the car... developed into a small crack and now it's a huge crack that crosses almost the entire windshield (and worse, it's right across the drivers side). A cop hasn't ticketed me on it yet, but it's only a matter of time.

What are some prices I'm looking at to get it repaired? Will a glass shop be able to just replace it, or will I need to find a windshield off another t-bird to swap over? I've never had to work with windshields before so I'm clueless.

Also, I assume the windshields are the same on all '89-'97 t-birds and cougars, of every type... right?

Price is dependent on the quality of the glass. If you get PPG, LOF, or OEM glass...then it's going to be more $$, but these are higher quality than the generic stuff that some shops use. You could also find a used windshield and have a shop put it in, but I wouldn't recommend it. Best thing would be to call some shops around your area and ask what kind of glass they use and get an estimate.

Check your comprehensive coverage on your insurance policy. Should be a lower deductible then collision. Then go wherever. After its fixed, check into a 0 deductible with your agent. Only cost me a little more. Free star repairs, free windshields (well, not free, you pay for the insurance) etc. Claims on comprehensive do not raise your premiums, so use it every chance you get.

also

One other thign you could do-- even to this day my father has always told me that he has yet to find an insurance company that wont replace your windshield. not sure if it's cheaper in the long run to spend the money on your own or let your insurance increasea little, but just a thought good luck
-Damon

speaking of windshields, i have a question, a friend bought 2 1989 SC's and one has a busted windshield, and this is the car he is using as the fixer upper while the other one is a parts car, he plans to simply take the windshield (and one of the quarter windows cause this car has previously had an lx one installed) out of the other parts car, but a glass shop guy tried to tell him that a 14 year old windshield would be to brittle to put into another car, is this glass guy full of **** and just tryin to get him to fork over the $$$ for a brand new windshield?

i heard to use a guitar string and work it like a saw to get the old glue cut loose.

jeff

Last edited:
windshield

I got a price of $175 installed. It is VERY difficult to get the windshield out without cracking. Good luck.
Ed

Windshield prices are regional. I'm looking at around $350 to get mine replaced in Minnesota. Others here have paid under $200.

Insurance only will cover glass with comprehensive coverage, typically.

Glass doesn't degrade over time, but the plastic laminate sandwiched between the panes may. I wouldn't sweat it. The biggest problem with old glass is it is just worn. New glass is such a big improvement, especially in night and wet driving.

Also, I believe I've read on this board some time ago that a later model year windshield has darker tinting across the top, and is a little nicer looking than the glass that came on the earlier SC's... Since the fit is the same it is also somethig to consider.

Re: also

GREATWHITE666 said:
not sure if it's cheaper in the long run to spend the money on your own or let your insurance increasea little, but just a thought good luck
-Damon

Nah, comprehensive claims don't raise your rates. At least with State Farm (not that I'm recommending them). My agent explained that claims on those don't show additional risk, so unless you're making 5-6 claims per year on that policy, there won't be any problems. If you were, they might raise your deductible. My wife accidentally drowned her car. It was covered under comprehensive, so no deductible and it didn't affect our rates. I don't usually even get the rock "stars" fixed, I jus let 'em run and get a new windshield, almost annually.

I had mine done last year since i had a spider crack all the way across from 1 side to the other from a dump truck dropping rocks on my SC. Anyways thats besides the point i paid $185. installed. That was the cheapest price in NJ. Good luck man i called every1 in the phonebook here and for 3 other counties in NJ and $185 was the cheapest i got. Later

Jay

Diamond Auto Glass, their # is 1-800-452-7257, They have a same day service and they guarantee to beat anyones prices. They came right to my house and did it for me in no more then 45 minutes. Good luck man.

Jay

I got mine replaced for FREE. Many of the glass shops around here will do it for free if you have a $250 or lower deductible. Basically they do the job, charge the insurance company for the work (they probably inflate the charge a little, but who knows), and don't collect the deductible from you. I guess they can still make a profit on top of that $250.

The guy came out to where I work, did the job right there in the parking lot in under an hour, replaced it with a new Ford windshield, an exact stock replacement (we compared the part numbers).

interesting

Didnt know that it doesnt make your rates go up under the right circumstances.. i may get mine replaced soon, i have one of those chips in mine also. By the way, i believe mine is the original windshield from 1995, and ive always noticed it looks like it has speckles of white little dots, almost like glitter in it. anyone know what im talking about? and is there a reason for it? Thanks!
Damon

I

I had mine done for 219 plus tax I had ohio vally auto glass do it, they also had it in stock and was same day. (Boy they sure made it look easy too!)

I checked with my insurance agency...

Adding comprehensive would double my premium (I'm on liability now) Plus they inspect my car for existing damage before adding the coverage, so the insurance route is out.

windshield

they came to my house and replaced mine for $165, its a good quality glass , looks like original, and has no blurred vision as ive seen on some generic glass,

Back