A good set of plug wires to go with?

syphon

I'm looking at replacing my wires soon, as they're very cracked and old (probably original wires) so I'm looking at getting a new set.

What wires would you guys say to get? I seem to see a ton of contrary opinions all over the boards. Supercoupeperformance says to get the magnacore wires... since all other brands cause problems. However, I'm not partial to spending $105 + shipping on a set of wires.

What do you think would work well with a stock '90 SC? Any brands to avoid? What exact model wires should I get?

Also, it sounds a bit shallow of me, but I'd prefer if the wires were blue. I know some wires have color options so this would be pretty cool :)

wires

I think the ford oem wires are the best for our cars, they go 60-100,000 miles with no problems. I don't like to buy from a dealer, but certain things make sense.
Ed
They don't come in Blue from Ford

Accel Extreme 9000's.

Reasonably priced and very nice pieces. I've had mine for about 3 1/2 years and they've been on/off 4 times. No issues yet.

I went through the same thing

I went through the same thing not more than a month ago . . . here is what I found. There are a lot of choises, many poeple have run many different types, Magnecore, Accel, Jacobs, Taylor and lots of people have had success with them, however, some people did not have good luck with some of the aftermarket brands. Some pretty respectable times have been obtained with stock wires, and I have never heard anything bad about the OEM wires. So I went with the Stockers.

Dave

If you don't work on your car alot, the stock wires are great. However, if your going to be pulling rocker covers and plugs once every couple of months, get some wires with a spiral wrapped core so you don't damage the wires when removing and instaling them. Stock wires don't have a wound or wrapped core, and will get damaged easily after being on the car a few months.

I've had good luck with stock wires, but switched to Taylors because they were cheaper ($45) and more durable (except clips on the coil pack) than the stock wires.

David

I've tried a few different brands including the fancy red ones, I think they were magancores. All the expensive ones I tried would only last about 6 months before I would develope a miss. So I started buying the best wires that Car Quest had and have been using the same wires for about 2 years with no problems. They only cost about $35.

I like Magnecore

SuperCoupe Performance's price is better the the MSRP for their wires. Magnecor recommends $138.

I liked them enough that I bought Magnecor wires for my Chevy S-10, too, although i'm sure it's overkill there.

They hold up really well, they're flexible, and they look good.

Just my $0.02.

Mike O.

The 8mm Magnecor's are blue, the 8.5mm on SCP are the red ones. I got the blue 8mm's, work fine. Do a search here and you'll find the price, where I got them from and contact ph#. Orange County Speed? Something like that. I think several of us got them at the same place at the same time, from what the guy said on the phone. Haven't seen any posts complaining about them. I'm thinking they were ~$70? Can't remember. Mine is not a drag setup car, so maybe that .5mm is noticeable on a car with a lot of mod's, I don't know.

EDIT: Here you go:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12950&highlight=magnecor

Last edited:
I just put 8.5mm Autolite's on my Ranger and S/C. The Ranger runs much better than before. The S/C is still parked for the winter...

Bill,

Direct fit. PN 9030

I put them on before I blew the HG's on the original motor. Had them off and back for that, then off and back on for motor #1 and then off and back on for motor #2. Add in 2 plug changes (I think) and they've been molested like 6 times without any troubles so far.

~S

Edit: They're $72 from Summit and on backorder until 3/27. Least that's what their site says.

mcneil, whats wrong with the taylor wires?
dave neibert says he runs them on his car, and with the power he is puttin down, well i think they are good 'nuff for most of our cars as well. why wouldnt someone go with taylor wires?

i need to replace my plugs and wires since they are all the original ones still with 78k miles on the car...

so far, from this thread, it sounds like taylor is good and Accel Extreme 9000's are good too. any other affordable but good wires out there?

Back