Hard Starting

IGot6UGot8

I'm having a problem with a '91 Automatic SC. First thing in the morning it starts up no problem. If it sits for a few hours it usually starts up fine... but if it's been driven, then shut off and tried to restart, it doesn't want to fire up. If the pedal is pushed to the floor, it will start for 1-2 seconds, then die. It will not stay running. The cam and crank sensors are both under 5000 miles old. Could this be the fuel pump or filter? Or is it something ignition related?

thanks
Jake

Yes, it could be fuel but you should check for intake air leaks. When I got my car back after a year, it wouldn't start b/c the IC tubes were loose. good luck

I had the same problem and it was a leaking fuel injector, I got them all rebuilt and it runs better then ever. Shut your car off and see if you still have fuel pressure in 20 mins, I would lose all pressure after the car had been off for about 15 mins.

I'm think it sounds like it might be flooded or have a vapor lock issue.

Do you smell any fuel smells after it does start? You might try just running some fuel injection cleaner through it in case there is a injector leaking down. You could also get a fuel pressure gauge and do a leak down test watching to see if fuel pressure is maintained.

Back