Won't turn over

SCootin

Haven't been on here in quite a while - I guess cuz the bird has been running strong - until now. Everything is lighting up, but it just won't crank over! No ticks, no whirls, no nothing! Any ideas? She was running great this afternoon. Could moisture cause this - we've been in a serious melting mode here with the snow? Starter maybe?

Thanks...

If you have a 89 to 93 just jump the starter solenoid. If you have a 94-95 you need to drop the starter and replace the solenoid.
Just make sure you have a good battery before you replace
anything.

I jumped the relay...just get a quick click (one click) and that's it! When I do this, should I be getting a series of clicks? I'm guessing my problem lies in the relay? BTW, it's an '89. Almost at 170K on her...still runs about as strong as the day I bought her (back in '95) - at least once she's started!!

Last edited:
Forgot to ask...Supposing it's the relay, would OEM replacement be the way to go, or could aftermarket be suitable? Thanks for the help!

Aftermarket is fine and they aren't that expensive. However, its possible that the wires at the starter are loose, or the starter itself is bad. Before you go replacing parts, crawl under the car and unplug the small black wire at the top of the starter; clean off the metal tab and plug it back in. Then try it out.
When you go to get a replacement relay, take the starter with you and have it tested. Before you remove the starter, be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable to avoid a spark show.
The easiest way to get to the starter is to remove the pass side wheel. ALWAYS support the car with a jackstand when doing any work underneath.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies...I will check out the starter tomorrow a.m. Unfortunately, the bird is in a parking lot 15 miles away, so I'll have to tote everything with me. I figure I'll buy a relay and bring with me - in hopes that's it. NAPA has 'em for $14.00 - not too bad! I had them check starters too - $135 w/ exchange.

Thanks again for the tip...

SCootin said:
Unfortunately, the bird is in a parking lot 15 miles away, so I'll have to tote everything with me.
Just what happened to me.. spent 2 days (afternoons really) screwing around with the starter.. found a burnt brush wire.. said "Aha!" fixed it.. drove back to the office.. installed fixed starter.. still no go.. scratched head.. pulled starter.. jumpered with cables.. starter works!.. reinstall stater.. doesn't work :confused: pulled small black wire off, cleaned and tightened it up and reinstalled.. viola! problem fixed.

just curious, cause i'm having the same type of problem. everything lights up ,but no noise when trying to crank. the only time i do get noise is if i'm pressing up and down on the brake. now, i have the factory alarm where you have to step on the brake to activate the starter(or atleast i think it's factory), is this a alarm or abs malfunction or could it just be that malicious black wire on the starter?

calzonejoe said:
is this a alarm or abs malfunction or could it just be that malicious black wire on the starter?
Could possibly be an alarm malfunction, but I've never heard of it happening. Most likely, its your brake light switch which is on the brake pedal arm. Next time it happens, do this.. hold the key on, don't let off yet.. pump the brake pedal.. move the shift lever out of P and into N and back. See if anything happens. It never hurts to clean that wire connector on the starter either.

Back