Lifter oil hole

Supacharged89

Which way does the oil hole on the lifter go, up towards the cam or down towards the outside of the engine? I am talking about the hole on the side of the lifter body. The place that installed my engine had them all mixed up, some up and some down.

Thanks for the help.

I was looking in my manual for more info on the tappets but it doesn't mention anything on the direction for the oil holes, only the flats. So, I don't think it matters. I think the hole is more of an overflow hole anyway b/c they must be pumped full with oil before you install them and fresh oil runs down from the top as the engine runs. But I'm like you, and put mine pointing towards the inside of the engine. Maybe someone else will comment on this topic with another opinion. good luck

Maybe?

I am not sure either but when I built my 302 for the Capri, I put them all facing up or towards each other to the center of the block. My thoughts were that if they were oil holes, they are on an angle and if the oil squirts out the top, gravity will pull it down towards the other side of the lifter bore to kind of evenly distribute the lube. Maybe? kind of sort of? sounded good, Eh?

Back