Fordtune.com - thoughts?

Mike8675309

Fordchip.com - thoughts?

O.k. It seems like dyno tune events are sprouting up all around me this year. One of them is in part with www.fordchip.com for a pull and tuneing.

I've never heard of them mentioned on this board before. Are they any good?

With limited mods (Exhaust, Pro-M 75mm MAF, 5% pulley, 195lph Fuel pump, 3" intake tube and K&N filter) does it even make sense to do that yet?

Or would I be better spending the money on an EEC tuner and working with Dr. Fred when I get more mods (10% pulley, bigger injectors, throttle body) to make it ideal?

With so many options it's hard to make the right choices to get the most bang for the buck.

(fixed company name)

Last edited:
It would be hard to beat a dyno-tune with 02 senser on the dyno.

If you plan future up grades I would stick with SC only tuners.

www. bjherron@apten-us.com he has a dyno,you will know air-fuel ratio
& H.P. gains

I am shure Dr.Fed is good tuner,but you get less info on out come of the tune.

Mike8675309 said:
With limited mods (Exhaust, Pro-M 75mm MAF, 5% pulley, 195lph Fuel pump, 3" intake tube and K&N filter) does it even make sense to do that yet?

I'd like to get an opinion on that too. I'll have those same mod's in a few days, I'm wondering if a chip would be next or if I should wait.

*I'd love to hear about a chip & dyno tune day somewhere. I'd be willing to travel for that in the Spring/Summer. I saw on Brian's site about a 2 position chip. That sounds really good.

I know a guy who travelled over 200 miles to have Jerry tune his car. He got all the way to the dyno shop, pulled his upper (* 5.0) and switched injectors. He did all this because he knew Fordchip does good work.

Reinhart was at that tune too with the 500 HP Mark VIII. ;)

Yep, that's the link. I got confused with Dyno Tune and FordChips.

It sounds like FordChips is generally good, especially with a Dyno available to tune it right in.

What are the down sides to having a chip burned, rather than an EEC tuner purchase? Are reburns possible for reasonable costs?

Getting technical here, I know but.

When should a guy modding his SC think about a tuning session on the dyno?

My fears:
I get a chip when I am only 25% done with my mods. And then when I add something else the car will run just awful until I get a new chip reburn. The stock programing is not spot on, but that gives you some room to add mods and it still runs. I'm afraid that if I do the chip now, when I throw that 75mm throttle body on this August, my April chip burn will make the car miserable because of how optimized it was for the previous setup.

Is that a fair fear, or am I being stupid?

once a car is dyno tuned, it is pretty good at learning fuel changes as you add modifications. In general, here are some reasons you would want to re-tune or atleast re-dyno the car to check it.

Different MAF
Different heads/cams
extreme blower change (going from stock to full MP setup).

Otherwise, small changes can be done via mailing the chip back. I mail changes all the time to chips that I have sold for customers. If you get a dyno pull and send it to the chip burner, they can take that pull and adjust the fuel and spark based on the dyno information

Brian

Back