BHJ harmonic balancer, help needed...

supercatxr7

Mine just came today, but I did not get any installation information with it and was told some honing work may need to be done to make it fit. Can someone email me a copy of their installation sheet and also information on install. You can fax sheet to the number below if not able to email.
thanks!

sohclx@yahoo.com

989-871-9267

if not then Im assuming people are taking their original balancers and having them spun up to match, if not, wouldnt the engines be out of balance causing serious internal damage at an increased rate?:confused:

Zero balance. The BHJ units are zero balance, so the pins from the stock unit are not needed. That's one of the many sweet things about the BHJ. I put mine on with a set if underdrive pulleis, so it was just a matter of lining up the pitch for the bolts on the crank pulley.

I think what Assclown is asking...is if the balance pins were installed to balance the engine (not the dampner & pulley) then won't putting the zero balance unit on the same engine cause it to be out of balance internally ?

A very good question and one I would like an answer to also.

David

Last edited:
Here is our last great discussion on the dampers and pins:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16442

I will expand a little on what I said in the previous post. I think we can break down the installation of the BHJ dampers to two cases:

1.) Installation on a newly rebuilt engine.
Since all of reciprocating parts will be different, I would not worry about the pin(s) at all. I would have all the parts balanced by the engine builder, but I would also guess there are many rebuilt motors that have not been balanced at all that are still running.

2.) Adding damper to a used engine.
Since the pins were used as a final balance, it would probably be nice to have the pins (or I have only seen a single pin in all the dampers I have seen) back in the original location. This would require balancing the damper to the pulley after material was removed for the pin hole and then reinstalling the pin. I am not convinced that it would be worth all that trouble, since the internal parts do not have the same weights as the original balanced engine, due to wear and engine deposits.

Balancing is not exact; there are always some +/- tolerances in all motors. Fortunately we don't rev really high, where out of balance situations become more pronounced. But then again, the little V6 used to have a balance shaft to smooth due the inherent problems with firing orders on the V6. So better balance is desirable.

Bottom line is that on a new rebuilt engine, components should all be balanced together for best performance. On a used engine the pin is probably not going to make a whole lot of balance difference due to many factors. I would guess many replacement dampers never got the pin moved to the new damper, either! I have also seen several stock, original dampers that did not have any pins.

I'd personally lose more sleep over headgasket issues than the small pin!

I measured my bhj .ON the end of the balancer that gos into the motor ,it was 1.3745.
on the end of the BHJ balancer that the crank pulley bolt to it was1.3740.
The crank shaft was 1.3755. So mine had a taper it got tighter as it was installed.

I did not need to hone mine.I tuned the heat off in my shop to get the crank shaft
as cold as possible over night. i put the balancer it the oven on two hundred degrees
then turned the oven off and let the balancer set in the turned off oven for about 30 min.
then i removed the balacer from the oven ,put some rv sealer in the key way of the balancer
and anti seize to the inside bore of the balancer,and on the crankshaft.the installed it.

I would use a balancer install tool it will save you a lot of time.

My balance pin wt. that I pull out of the stock balancer. wt. 8 tenth of a gram.
and i did not install in the new BHJ balancer.

On my motor I do not think it will see over 4000 RPM 99 percent of the time
so I did not concern myself with the 8 tenth of a gram.Because my train of thought
is in line with the crud build up in the motor as the above thread.

You can also spray the crank shaft with a bottle of propain to freeze crank for an
easier press fit of the balancer,and put the balancer in a heated pan of motor oil bath
to expand the balancer bore.

Last edited:
Back