Bent Rods and Broken Cranks

jay4964

Hi My name is Jason and I have been lurking and reading the forum for a while. This is a great place for information on the SC. This is my first Ford and I love my bird. I have had it for almost 3 years now. It currently has a blown head gasket but the motor is out and I was planning on a rebuild as spring is around the corner. I had a couple of question that I hope someone could answer. I have had experience with many Blown Chevy's and I hear a lot of people on the forum saying that they have bent rods and such. In my experience with bent/rods on blower motors. The piston temp around the wrist pin got to hot (due to running lean, detonation what ever) and the pin seizes in the piston/rod and bends the rod. (because it can't pivot) Has any one tried having their rods converted over to full floating Pins with bronze inserts and a oil hole drilled into the back of the oil control ring to positively feed it? The other thing that I see a lot on high boost applications is cylinder wall wear due to the cylinder wall lubrication (oil) being "washed off" due to all that extra fuel that is being pumped in falling out of suspension and then getting forced by the rings and finding it way into the engine oil. thus diluting it more and causing more wear. Just a thought. also I have read a lot about people on the list breaking cranks. In most of these cases were they cut undersized to clean up the journals? I just want to learn so I know how to plan the rebuilding of my motor. I'd like to do it once and if that means a new crank if mine is worn then what can you do. I suppose the blocks are good because I haven't read about anyone blowing their crank out the oil pan at 5 or 6 grand with 15-16 lbs of boost. So I guess the weakness is the crank and rods. Any ideas on this. I know this post is long but Thanks in advance.

Back