Question about 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse turbo vs SC

I have this co-worker (girl) who owns a 1999 or 1998 Eclipse turbo and she thinks that it is fast, so I took her for a quick spin in my 2000 Mustang GT to show her what fast really is. Anyway she went on about how her car has better traction and so forth and how the stang redlines at only 6K compared to her 7K tach at redline. She also mentioned that her Mitsubishi registered 165mph compared to the stang's 150mph. She really believes it will do it too! LOL:rolleyes:
Anyway, I know I would hand her a$$ to her in the $tang if she was to ever attemp such a task, but how would my stock '91 SC Auto stack up to her 5sp Eclipse turbo stock for stock?:confused:
I know my SC feels a hell of a lot stronger!
DB91:cool:

SC vs. Eclipse

i dunno, my friend's dad has a 98 turbo with a 5 spd and i think he said the curb weight is like 3800 pounds dry weight. with a 210 hp turbo 4 cylinder and 250ish LB/FT of tourqe, i would say you should be able to squeak by, esp if ya have an auto, all ya got to do is launch and floor it. no room to miss a shift!:D

Andrew

Hmmm i dunno.. that would be a close call.. in my opinion its all driver there.. They are roughly the same in 0-60.... If she doesn't know how to shift, then i'd say you own here.... Get a couple of mods in your car, it'll work wonders.. exhuast and 5% OD pulley on the SC just my opinion.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but a 5 speed GST should run no worse than low 15s and be very capable of the 14s. They are closer to 3200 than pounds, a 3000GT VR4 is the one that weighs 3800+. Don't underestimate those little cars, she's boost controller and exhaust away from low 14s.

Brian

A 98 GST is more in the 2800lb range.. the GSX is in the 3200lb range.. And the 95-99's had a crappy *** turbo so lo 14's are pretty hard to achieve with just a boost controller and an exhaust.. Ya need to be one helluva driver.. Stock for stock sorry to say the DSM will own.. And a 2000 GT is nothing special either.. It runs lo 14's.. My 93 GSX did that with a new clutch and some free mods.. Go for a ride in a 2003 Cobra, C5 or a Z06 if ya want to see what insanely fast is..

hmmmm....

Thanks for the input guys! BTW KwikGSeX, my 2000GT ran low 13's with less than $1000.00 worth of mods. It's nothing special, but I seem to enjoy the stang as well as my bird. I have respect for the little turbo eclipse, so we will see what happens. If I loose, I will come back here and lick on my wounds. Awww, who the hell am I kiddin!

:rolleyes:
DB91

dirtybird91 said:
She also mentioned that her Mitsubishi registered 165mph compared to the stang's 150mph. She really believes it will do it too! LOL:rolleyes:

Magazine racing. Next time, roll up a magazine, smack her in the head and tell her it was a hit and run. :p :D
Those are cool cars though, I'd love to have an early 90's AWD. I think that if both were stock, the GT would take it, or it would be close. From the sound of it, I think DB's GT will take it handily, and maybe the SC, since I think he's messed with it some already. Unless she's turned up the boost etc. Doesn't sound like it if her bragging comes from what RPM she redlines at. :rolleyes:

I ran one at muncie dragway in the 8th in my 90 regal and he owned me by like 4 tenths, he ran a 10.6 which comes out to a 16.4 but this could be the driver too.

well

Stock auto SC will most likely loose to a stock eclispse AWD turbo..But ....She would need to dump that clutch ...I have a feeling she wont..SO give it a whirl

I'm no expert on the AWD turbo eclipse but,
I have seen many run and run many with 2 of my 3 SCs, only loosing to the one that had exhaust and a boost control!

And that was simply because of the AWDs launch. He owned me there but by the end of the 1/4 I was all over that 4 banger, and he knew it!
It only makes sense when yoy think about it.
Its no different than us racing an LT 1 camaro.

If we launch good we can hang with them off the line
(thats Torque)
...until the end where they pull us in for the kill.
(Thats Horsepower)

No replacement for displacement!

OH WELL.....

It does not look like there will be a race anytime soon being that snow and rain have jacked up the festivities!:mad:
DB91

Back