Alternator

93SC

My buddy is changing the alternator on his 95 SC auto. He is talking about having problems getting the alt off. He has the coil pack and bracket off. All 3 bolts are off. He says that he thinks he might ahve to take off the upper IC tube or some alum braket that runs around part of the alt in the front. It just doesn't sound like my to SC's and I havent' had the opertunity to go over and take a lookf for myself yet. Any ideas?

hey yes he needs to take the upper ic tube off. Easiest way to do it is unbolt the flange on the blower and unbolt it at the IC and dont forget the little nun underneath the tube that mounts it to the alternator bracket. I think i actually removed the stud then didnt put it back caus its just a PIA when you take the tube off.

Also ive put about 4 alternators on, the last one i had rebuilt by a specialty shop i know when i was working in WV. DONT USE CHEAP *** REMAN ALTERNATORS FROM PLACES LIKE ADVANCE!!

they will go just as quickly as they came in these cars. These alts have cooling problems and the regulators overheat and stick causing an overcharge problem (18-19 volts)not goot!

Chris

hey dude, I got a question, do the alt could couse that rpm's fluctuating (erratic idle) or losing power, you now that systems need to have steady voltage present, so i have this problem, like out of timing and i don't know i though that may be a regulator can cause something like that because here the weater is cold now, and rpm's goes some better, (like you said coolant problems), but in the the night lights are fluctuating too, anyway,

I hope you have a suggestion,

Thank's

Just a tip.
You can access that nut and stud by going through the driver side wheel well. There's just enough room to get a socket with an extension on it to the nut and stud to take them off.

i did the alternator in my car without removing the upper intercooler tube. my cousin and i did it in like 1/2 which takes into account the time taken to realize that we had to move the coil pack.

if you need any help shoot me an email. supercoupe@hotmail.com
-matt

I know that some people don't like to mess with the intercooler tubes...but the upper one takes like 5 min to remove and is very easy to reseal.

Why do you guys insist on removing the upper IC tube???

All you need to do is remove the tensioner. it's 1 18mm bolt in the center. It comes off as a unit and reinstalls just as easily. No springs to mess with no tubes or top to reseal.

Jeff

i don't know dude maybe yours is just smaller than ours. i've changed mine 4 times, every time i had to remove the i/c tube. i took the coils and tensioner off it still wouldn't go. now i just take the i/c tube off and don't even touch the coils or the tensioner.
i'm glad i paid 250 for it too, because i only had to pay once. lifetime warrenty at napa.
joe

You just about have to take off the top tube or the coil pack to reach the 3rd alt. bolt on the L bracket behind the alternator or jack up the car to go thru the wheel well. Soo much easier to remove the top tube.

Jeff is right, you don't need to take the upper IC tube off. I didn't want to Sure it makes removing the alternator a little easier to remove. I removed the belt tensioner. You just have to fanagle with the alt. a little more to get it out, but not difficult. I have a 94SC and had similar problem. Went through a few alt. before finally getting one that worked. Just make sure your battery is fully charged. I think I would've had fewer problems had I done that.

Back