ok what engine internals

pearlwhite94sc

ok guys im gonna pull the motor sometime this week to start tear down and rebuild.
I want to know what internals all the big dogs are using? pistons rods, are you still running the stock crank? whos the best to get these parts from? and so on and so forth.......

Thanks
Chris

i forgot to add, anyone running ESM stuff? i want that ten rib pulley setup but theyre website is down and i cant find out what else they offer.

Chris

You need to build your engine based on what amount of power you plan to make and how you intend to use the car. The heads, cam, intake, exhaust and fuel system are the power adders. The short block is just the foundation. Depending on what you select you may need supporting mods, like motor and tranny mounts, torque strap, upgraded coolers, tranny, clutch, converter, driveshaft, half shafts ect...

For example if your planning to build your engine to run high to mid 13s you can use stock pistons and rods with bolt-ons. If you are looking for a high 12 second or quicker street driven, stock weight SC, you will need better rods and pistons, heads, cam, a spare car and on and on.

The stock crank is all there is, unless you offset grind it for more stroke (needs custom rods and pistons) or buy a custom made crank like Fred did (big $). Balancing is manditory and an upgraded dampner like the BHJ is also reccomended.

If you want to know what mods people have, go to the top SCs section and click on that person's member page. Most have plenty of details listed.

David

Last edited:
i understand this, the only reason i posted was to find out what other people were running in their engines. My fastest time was a 14.0 on a stock short block wiht only a few bolt ons. I am looking for low to mid 12s when im done. I know what im doing in the fuel, heads, cam area, i just wanted to know what everyones using in the bottom end.

PS it is chained down after 5 sets of broken mounts ;)

Chris

Chris,

I have CAT "H" beam rods, Ross pistons, Total Seal gapless rings, Clevite bearings, ARP main bearing studs, late model oil pump, stock dampner and a stock crankshaft.

David

Last edited:
cool thank you, just compiling ideas. how do those gapless rings work? and where can you get a set of those and the Hbeam rods?

Thanks
Chris

parts

I'm running Eagle H-beam rods (6.2") and Diamond pistons.
Morana stud girdle, ARP main studs.

What is Coy Miller using? Is the record holdng car his off the shelf Stage II setup with all the Magnum Power top end stuff? if so what blower pulley?, computer setup? etc....etc...etc....

Good luck getting an accurate answer on that one.

I know it has a 1 off lower intake that's been cut, raised and welded. And the blower drive is a 1 off cogged belt setup that can be heard from 300 yards away. And then there's the 1 off air to air to liquid to air intercooler setup.

I'm sure it's bone stock inside. ;)

Back