PDA

View Full Version : cam sensor

EDHUNT14
02-22-2003, 01:04 PM
I took the cam sensor out of my black sc to put in my 35th. It worked fine, told me that was the problem. I went today, bought a new cam sensor for the black sc, put it in started it and it ran for about 10 seconds and shut off. Now it won't start, just turns over, not even trying to start. Could I have blown something else? Why would it start and then just shut off? Has anybody gotten a bad cam sensor, is this the way it would react if it was bad? I got it at autozone.
Thanks,
Ed

TbirdSCFan
02-22-2003, 05:00 PM
When a cam sensor goes bad, usually it won't cause the car to shut off. Rather it'll usually result in bad bucking with any throttle and an erratic idle. When you shut the car off, with enough tries, it will usually restart with a bad cam sensor.
Your problem almost sounds like the crank sensor. When cranking the engine, does the uparrow light on the tach come on and stay lit? I'd check wiring first, and then check for fuel pressure.

My last cam sensor came from Orielly's, but they all usually carry the same brands. It was Borg Warner.

Just for the record, I'm on my 3rd cam sensor, my 2nd crank sensor, my 2nd DIS.

EDHUNT14
02-23-2003, 10:08 PM
I do realize how a cam sensor reacts, thats why I'm so baffled. What I have in front of me now are three 90 sc s. On the Titanium and the 35th the back or receiving end of the cam sensor is pointed down and toward the passenger headlight. On the other, the black one I'm working on it is pointed up and toward the driver headlight. Now you would think maybe I have it in backwards, I know thats what I thought, but, it won't fit in pointing left. The receptical for the wires hits the block. I stood in front of my 35th and the front bolt hole is lined up almost directly under the snout of the supercharger. The front bolt hole on this one is about three inches to the left or clockwise from where it is on the other two cars. Now before I took the cam sensor (I didn't, my mechanic did) off the car it ran great. I only took it off to see if that was the problem with my 35th. It was so I bought a new sensor and put it on the black one. As I said, it ran for about 10-20 seconds and shut off and now won't start. Any thoughts at all, can the piece with the bolt holes move in any way? I don't know, I'm at a loss.
Thanks for your help,
Ed

TbirdSCFan
02-24-2003, 02:59 AM
Actually, since it ran for 10-20 seconds, I'd look to see that you're getting fuel at the fuel rail first. 2nd, see if you can get any KOEO codes. 3rd, unpug the cam sensor and try to start the car a couple of times. With each try turn the key completely off first. I don't know why the cam sensor would be so far off on the 2 different engine.. its not like Ford made 2 different 3.8L SC engines :cool: Is it possible that the cam shaft was moved say from someone replacing a timing chain or pulling the base out?

EDHUNT14
02-24-2003, 10:29 AM
Its possible the cam sensor was rotated, I had to replace the harmonic balancer and the whole front of the engine was off, but that would mean I have been driving the car for a year with the sensor out of position. It seems this wouldn't matter, so why now is it acting up?
Ed

TbirdSCFan
02-24-2003, 02:17 PM
If its been running well, then you're right, there's no real reason for it to stop working even if its 180 off. But FYI, there is an alignment procedure for when the cam sensor shaft has been moved.

All I can guess is some coincidental failure somewhere else. Fuel, broken wiring, etc. Pull KOEO codes and see if they give you any clues, don't assume that the code will tell you the precise problem; most of the time it tells you where to start looking. Post back is you need info on how to do this.
Is your fuel pump running? Do you have pressure at the rails?

35th_tbird
02-24-2003, 10:09 PM
if nothing else, you can try taking the sensor off the 35th and putting it back on the black sc. that way if it works, you know you have a bad sensor, otherwise you just eliminated one possibility. you might want to try the crank sensor as well. that's what the no starting sounds like to me. my car wouldn't start when the crank sensor quit, and everything else tested o.k., so it went and the car started. it's worth a shot. good luck finding the problem.

EDHUNT14
02-26-2003, 09:05 AM
When the mechanic fixed the harmonic balancer he put the cam sensor in off about 2-3 inches. This didn't affect the running, but it did put the wires right up close to the supercharger pulley. When I pulled the new cam sensor off the second time I saw some wires were stripped. I retaped these wires and went looking for a blown fuse. Turns out thats what happened, a blown fuse from crossed wires. Trying to start without any spark fouled the plugs, so I had to replace the plugs which only had about 1000 miles on them. Oh well, the main thing is I got it running and it has been sold to a couple in Sacramento. Thanks for everyones help,
Ed