radiator fan getting no power.

TrippyZippy

Hi guys. My car isn't over heating but the gauge is going up to 3/4 of the guage. It used to be slightly past "zero". I tested the fan and it works. I've noticed that since the raise in gauge needle that the fan has never turned on! Ok so the fan works and I also tested the plug output for power with the car very warm and there is none.

I've noticed that the power plug leads to a small metal box below the air filter assembly. I can't seem to find any fuses or whatever for the radiator fan?

Anybody have any ideas? is there a relay or radiator fuse anywhere? Should I get a used "metal box" from the junkyard? thanks for any information you have.

~Zip

You should have a fuse/relay box under the hood of the car. It should have a high and low speed relay for the fan. It is probably the relay, or the fuse. Retest the fan by jumping it with the battery. Then check the fuse, and then the relay. You can test the relay by jumping it with the battery. It will make a clicking noise if it is good.

Good Luck!!

thanks.

thanks for the reply man. Actually I did test the fan with the battery and it spins up great. it's only 1.5 years old "siemens" from Napa.

I just read my haynes and it says there is an "INTEGRATED RELAY CONTROL MODULE" somewhere that has the fan relays in it. anyone know where this module is? thanks.

~Zip

The Integrated Relay Control Module is that black sheet metal box between the airbox and passenger side headlight.

David

Before you go cheching all these things, let me ask you this......

Did you drain the rad.???
Was it low on water???

If you had drained the rad. then re burp it afew "TIMES" to get the air out of the system.

If it had gottin low on you, again, re- burp the system.

When just air is around the sending unit to turn your fan on the sending unit will not read it. Some times the rad will get low enough to cause a air pocket around the sending unit. This is the first step, and the easiest to start with and it does not cost any thing.

Helpful tip >>>>>> Re-burp the system. Then let the car cool till it is cold. Check the rad. to see if it is low again and fill to the neck if it is.

Kurt Sr

There's many reasons for that cooling fan not coming on. The IRCM module(in the right front headlight bucket in front of the air cleaner box) controls 12volts to the fan, one lead for low speed and one for high speed. The first thing to check is do you have 12volts to the IRCM module with the key on? I don't have my book handy to give you the pin numbers or the wire colors. I can tell you they are side by side(brown/orange, maybe black/red not sure).
These two wires have an inline fusible link located in the wiring harness coming from the starter relay on the left fender. If you have a 94-95 I believe you have a fuse in the large fuse block under the hood. If you do not have 12volts at the IRCM, key on, then check these things first.

The EEC receives it's engine coolant temp signals from the ECT sensor located on the right front top side of the engine above the AC compressor. If this unit is faulty then the EEC will never know the correct temperature. Usually if the ECT is faulty there are other symptoms, such as running rough on cold start(due to too lean condition because the ECT is saying egine is warmer then it should be) or running to rich(ECT is saying engine is colder than it really is). It should set a check engine light if it has failed completely.

It may also be a failed low speed relay within the IRCM module itself not turning on the low speed fan. There is a separate relay within the IRCM for lo speed and high speed for the cooling fan.

hey guys

Hey all. thanks sooooo much again for the responses. I'm gonna tackle this stuff after I take my son back to his mom's this weekend.

Please excuse my stupidity but.. what is a fusable link? is there a fuse in it? lol. Thanks again.

~Zip

Back