Transmission Fluid Cooler lines leaking help

klsoneSC

Im leaking Tranny fluid from the fluid cooler lines (at the rubber hoses attached with those strange square clamps) and was wondering how to get those clamps off? Looks like an easy job but I don't wanna f@#k anything up. Should I replace those clamps with a more efficent clamp like the screw clamps or use them again? How hard a job is replacing those rubber hoses and is there any additional info you can give me on the job? Thanks in advance!

Kyle

Unthread the lines from radiator. Take a hacksaw and cut the factory clamp inline with the tube. Once you have it spilt, you should be able to open the clamp enough to remove. Throw the factory clamp and hose away. Now get some trans cooler line from the parts story and some adjustable clamps. Some people just use a tubing cutter to cut the factory line. I don't like that idea because you will cut off the lip made on the factory line that helps seal the rubber flex line. If you just cut the lines I would double clamp the hoses at each end.

Jerry

From under the car on ramps.

I used a Dremel and cut the clamps down the middle and them peeled them off with needle nose pliers. slipped on the new transmission hoses and double clamped each side of the hose with stainless clamps.

It is an easy job that takes about 20 minutes total. Just be careful when you cut the clamps not to cut into the steel line.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Will I need to drain the Tranny fluid or will it all just squirt out when I remove the hose? Do I really need to unthread from the radiator or can I just cut em off? The adjustable or stainless clamps are the ones like the radiator hoses and heater hoses have right, the screw type ones? Thanks again!

mine had adjustable ones on it when i went to change mine, but as far as leaking on you goes, it will. i used some paper towel to plug the holes while i put in new rubber sections. And i never unthreaded them from the radiator. good luck :)

Anybody know what size rubber trans hose to use for the repair? I tried using the rubber hose that came with a trans cooler I bought from Jegs, but the size was 11/16 and it was too big...

joenintiesc said:
Anybody know what size rubber trans hose to use for the repair? I tried using the rubber hose that came with a trans cooler I bought from Jegs, but the size was 11/16 and it was too big...

I think 5/16" I.D. trans cooler line will fit fine. My B&M trans cooler kit came with 11/32" I.D. , but I can't find that size locally. Make sure you buy trans cooler line and not emission or fuel line.

Jerry

First I try to remove them using the appropriate tool. If that doesn't work unscrew them and then heat the fitting with a micro torch(after fluid has drained well) once the plastic gets hot they just pull apart. You need 5/16 transmission cooler hose. Don't use fuel line it will soften and fail.
Alan

Back