Crank and Crank and Crank some more

swissboy97

I've had my SC for 5 years now and love her! I've replaced a ton of stuff, so this recent problem has me baffled. I'll crank and crank and it sounds great, but it just wont start. When i release the key, that's when the engine will actually turn over or fire up and start. I've replaced the Crankshaft sensor, the spark plugs are about a year old and the wires even newer. I've replaced the starter solenoid and starter about 3 years ago. I recently put in a new fuel pump 190 l/hr, so im not sure if thats the cause for any engine flooding due to an increase in fuel pressure??

If i had to guess, id put my money on the starter or too much fuel to the engine but I dont have a lot of money being a college student:( Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Alex
Raleigh, NC
90 Tbird (auto)

swissboy97 said:
I'll crank and crank and it sounds great, but it just wont start. When i release the key, that's when the engine will actually turn over or fire up and start.

Alex
Raleigh, NC
90 Tbird (auto)

Hey Alex. Your problem is a little confusing. Can you clarify.

You turn the key to start and the engine cranks (starter is turning the crankshaft) but the engine doesn't start.

Here is the confusion. When does the engine start? Do you mean that the engine starts as you release the key?

If so, then I'm guessing ignition switch problems. Otherwise, clear me up a bit.

yep,
when i release the key, that's when the engine will start all the way. occasionally it will turn over while i have the key down, but more frequently is when i just let go of the key. i never thought about the ignition before. would it be an easy fix, or replace the whole thing?

thanks for the reply

Hopefully someone else will speak up on the work to change the ignition switch.

But if it's intermitant based on key position it sure seems like it would be ignition switch.

Here is what I found on some instructions, but I've never done this before.
  1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Remove steering column lower shroud, then remove four nuts holding column assembly to column mounting bracket.
  3. Remove steering column shroud attaching screws, then the steering column shroud.
  4. Disconnect ignition switch electrical connector, Fig. 1, then rotate ignition key lock cylinder to ``Run'' position.
  5. Remove switch to lock cylinder attaching screws.
  6. Remove ignition switch from actuator pin.
  7. Adjust ignition switch by sliding carrier to ``Run'' position. A new replacement switch assembly will be preset in ``Run'' position.
  8. Place ignition key lock cylinder in ``Run'' position by rotating cylinder approximately 90°from ``Lock'' position.
  9. Install ignition switch on actuator pin. Slightly move switch back and forth to align mounting holes with column lock housing threaded holes.
  10. Install switch to lock cylinder attaching bolts and torque bolts to 50-60 inch lbs.
  11. Connect switch electrical connector.
  12. Install steering column trim shrouds, then check ignition for proper operation.
    [/list=1]

Back