Belt Broke at 2,000 RPM

thunderbird89sc

Ok so my main belt broke then one for the power streeing and ac and stuff, well anyway, it broke doing 70 mph at like 2000 rmp, and it was 200am when it happened and she is still at the side of the road, but i was wondering when i go to try to get her home, if the belt breaking could have done any damage at the speed, when she was running, there was a very loud noise like when your cluth goes out, but you could only hear it if the hood was open, is this normal when a belt breaks and how muxh is a new belt going to cost,

MAtt

Matt,

It probably didn't hurt anything when it broke. If your planning to replace the belt on the side of the road, you will need to bring tools to romove the lower radiator hose and some coolant to refill it. The belt goes around the hose.

The belt tensioner uses an 18mm socket and a breaker bar.

Good luck, David

A new belt will cost you like, $5 at the very most. The loud noise you heard could have been the belt itself snapping, or maybe the belt tensioner popping free. I can't think of any damage that might have occured, but when you put the new belt into place, be real careful and pay attention to any problems you notice.

where do you get those for $5 bux??????

last time i bought 1 (bought 3 last summer, due to accidently putting a spacer on the wrong side of the waterpump pulley and eatin 2 belts before i figured it out) anyway, the serpaintine is $18 bux + at autozone. not $5

ok so i put the new belt on and it runs geat and no wrobble from, balancer. you guys are great.

Matt

Ps i am going to replace all the other belts, the two of them that is soon,

"The belt tensioner uses an 18mm socket and a breaker bar." <-- or a towel and a crow bar.. it happened to me in my old cougar.... luckily I was 2 miles away from the part store :)

Back