lower ball joint removal, Help!

buck92sc

Hello, I am in the process of installing the MN12performance front suspension kit. I cant for the life of me separate the ball joint from the spindle. It will not budge. I have repeatedly hit it with a big hammer, and that didnt work so I rented the tool from auto zone. Again, endless pounding and pounding on that tool and still wont come out. I have sprayed liquid wrench on it, WD 40, tapped it with hammers to get it to settle in. Just wont come out. Are there any secrets to getting it separated? I wanted to get it out today so tomorrow i can have the new ball joint and bushing pressed in. Please help me!

Thanks, Kyle

Hey I know what you are going thru. Don't hit the balljoint with the hammer, otherwise you will be replacing that too. Replace the balljoint anyway if you have high mileage or smashed the threads . Use some penetrant like WD40 or Liquid wrench. You need to hit the spindle part that surrounds the ball joint. I used a 6-lb sledge hammer to get it off. I believe I had the shock still bolted on and pulled up on the spindle as I hit it.

You might try heating it first with a small torch and use the nonflamable Liquid wrench.

Grab a 2-pound ballpeen and let that sucker know who's boss. For the driverside, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, then hit the boss that surrounds the stem of the balljoint.

Don't use any heat, there's always the possibility of messing with the tensile of the steel. If you insist on using heat be ready for the grease in the balljoint to make a mess too.

Need a pic of where to whack it at let me know.

'bird

You do need at least a 2lb hammer. Then back the nut all the way up until the top of the nut is flush with the top of the stud. Then take a socket, cover it up and let it have it. Should take about 5-10 shots (don't miss) to do the job. If that doesn't do it, try heating the spindle slightly where the stud sits in with a propane torch and try again.

thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I havent been able to try yet, i am not home. I worked all night and am now at my girlfriends house, so i will try tomorrow afternoon. I am using a 6 lb sledge, and have tried liquid wrench and wd 40. Before i left for work i soaked it in liquid wrench and wd 40. Maybe by tomorrow it will have soaked in a bit. Tbird 88 if you could show me a pic of where the best spot to whack it is that would be good. Any help at this point. I was really really hitting hard, I cant believe it didnt come loose. I am 6 feet 205 lbs and can swing that thing hard, i feel like a wimp lol.

Kyle

Here ya go. Sorry the light wasn't so good but you'll get the idea. Hitting it from the side might be the easiest but hitting the boss (in the lower pic) is what will probably do the trick.

Remember, you're trying to shock the collar area so it'll "squirt" the stem of the balljoint out. Don't take offense, but I never use any penetrant because this is a wedged fit.

good luck,

'bird

bj3676.jpg

bj3686.jpg

got it

Thanks for the help. got it out. I bought a can of PB Blaster, stuff worked great. I soaked it with that stuff, then I tapped it with the hammer, and resoaked....then went nuts with the hammer for a few minutes then went inside. When i came back out it was already separated. I guess that PB blaster did good.

Kyle

Back